Here's MY ding-a-Lingle!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:33 pm
    ----
Hi all!

Couldn't resist the pun...but here's a Lingle I discovered in the back of a dirt parking lot at Camp Murray, WA. (Camp Murray is the Washington NG post attached to North Fort Lewis.) Apparently, it was a range target for a while, because it has a number of ricochet marks and penetrations, up to about .50cal. No engine, either. Sad

I noticed that the back hatch was not secured. I tried the latch, and it opened! I figured the inside would be pretty much trashed, based on the exterior. Confused Here's what I found:

Pretty nice, eh? Smile I wonder if the post museum has any clue that this is hiding in the back woods of the post?

Oh, yeah. The "Money Shot" Shocked :

Roy, this one's for you!

Cheers,
C

#2: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:29 pm
    ----
Did you get the date off the bottom left corner of the data plate, (not visable in these pictures). My Lingles serial was 3127, yours appears to be 2986, thats only about 151 units apart. It would be interesting to see the date and know the production numbers, these might have rolled off the assembly line very close together.

#3: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:28 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff,

Nope, that was the best pic I could get. The angle was awkward, because the fire extinguisher was still installed. I was tempted to move it, but it was HOT inside there and I didn't want to argue with the latches!

C

#4: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:10 pm
    ----
Did you look for numbers stamped on the exterior, especially near the rear lift points? I would like to see if there is any correlation with the numbers we've found on other vehicles and the dataplate SN.

#5: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:43 pm
    ----
Hi,

Bob, I looked all over the outside for numbers, before I discovered that it was unlocked. Nothing anywhere, other than the USA number stencilled on the back corner.

C

#6: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:49 am
    ----
M114's are pretty easy to look over, and this one appears to not have the heavy paint build-up of many display versions out there. But just today, Joe DeMarco told me where to look for stampings on Shermans and I went back and found them just where he said they'd be. I thought I had done a pretty fair job of looking them over too! Once I get a chance to go back to my two "Lingles" here at Ft Hood, I'll check those stamping locations under the lift loops on the rear. Notice I called them "my" Lingles. I know more about the armor on display here than the museum staff does, haha, thanks to the many colorful personalities on this DG!, you know who you are.

#7: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:50 am
    ----
Hi Chuck! Hi Folks!

While the out side doesn't look so good, the inside is looking very good.
Based on the storage markings on the wall, that vehicle was a M-114A2 before someone removed almost all of the 20mm gun mount and turret drive equipment.

Thanks Chuck!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#8: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:43 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Based on the storage markings on the wall, that vehicle was a M-114A2 before someone removed almost all of the 20mm gun mount and turret drive equipment.

I'd noticed the 20mm markings, which made me think that it once had a 20mm turret installed. The data plate indicates it started life as an A1, and then someone stamped "E1" under that. So, M114A1E1...is that anything like an M114A2?

C

#9: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:28 pm
    ----
Hi Chuck! Hi Folks!

- C_Sherman

I'd noticed the 20mm markings, which made me think that it once had a 20mm turret installed. The data plate indicates it started life as an A1, and then someone stamped "E1" under that. So, M114A1E1...is that anything like an M114A2?

The M114A1E1 and the M114A2 are the same vehicle. The XM-26 turret on the M-114A1 and the XM-27 turret on the M-114A1E1/A2 is the same. The armored turret, vision blocks, and the hatch are same. What was changed was the gun cradle and the drive system under the turret.
When the 20mm replaced the the 50 cal, the vehicle name changed from M-114A1 to M-114A1E1. When I was in Germany, we went through a period were we switch back and forth between calling them E1s and A2s. When I transfered to the 3rd ACR at Ft. Bliss, they were being called A2s there. That is why I call them A2s. AFAIK, the 3rd ACR was the very last Army unit (active and reserve) to use the M114.
Almost all AFV books label the 20mm version the E1 so offically maybe it never was labled an A2.

Chuck, did you notice the 30 cal ammo lables on the wall? The Army never updated them to 7.62mm when the original 30 cal was replaced by the M-60 MG.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#10: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:33 pm
    ----
What are 'Rocket Grenades' that the label has a place for?

#11: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:57 pm
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

What are 'Rocket Grenades' that the label has a place for?

There was a bag that was hung there. Original it was for RIFLE grenades for the M-14 rilfes the crew had. After the M-14s were replaced with M-16s, the bag was used for what ever the crew wanted to put in it.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#12: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:04 am
    ----
Roy, do you know where a M114A1E1 (A2) might be that I can get some dimensions from the cupola? I have some XM26 cupolas, that I would like to take one and add the XM27 modifications. There is also a small block that bolts to it on the outside of the cupola, just under the gun, that allows the hydraulics to go from the controls thru the cupola and finally to the gun. I am still sourcing a few parts to make this one correct. Thanks Roy!

#13: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:14 pm
    ----
I'm a little confused. In the first photo of the interior it appears to say "Cal.50 AMMO" above the personnel heater laying there. (Heaters had to be removed to pull the power pack). This would in fact make it an M114A1. But another picture of the left side says "20mm Ammo". Found this interesting. Another thing I noticed is I thought these were built by Cadillac (GM).

By the way WGTI, do you have any more videos besides the M114 on YouTube?

#14: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: wgtacticalLocation: Carrollton, Georgia PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:22 pm
    ----
I noticed the same thing about the 20mm/.50 cal. But to answer your question, no we dont have any additional videos (yet) We are expecting to have Gwinnett SWAT's M114 were in a week or so, and were planning a video of it. At the moment our attention is on the LAV300 that is here for a facelift. I will post pics and vids as we have them available.
Also, I am still looking for the fire control box and a hydraulic accumulator for the M114A1E1 if anybody knows where some might be.

#15: Re: Here's MY ding-a-Lingle! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:32 pm
    ----
I don't know how hard it would be to get one but there are a bunch of M114's at White Sands Missile Range.

A note here about North Fort Lewis: In November '71 a group of us had just graduated from Basic Training at Fort Ord and we were sent to Fort Lewis with our guaranteed assignments with 3d ACR. The bus driver mistakenly dropped us off at a North Fort Infantry AIT company on a Friday. The drill sergeants said we would start Infantry AIT the following Monday! We were fuming! I think they just screwed with us because we were relocated Monday. Man did we ever piss and moan that long weekend!

-> AFV News Discussion Board