Another M114
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Another M114 Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:03 pm
    ----
HAAAA…Fooled you!!

This is the M114 155mm howitzer and not that crawly thing. Sorry Roy but what do you expect from an ex-gunner?

This is the Canadian version built by Sorel Industries in 1956. It is one of two on display at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

#2: Re: Another M114 Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:33 pm
    ----
Wow ... that was cruel! Laughing

Neat pics though.

#3: Re: Another M114 Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:28 pm
    ----
I like seeing items in this state of display. In other words, as they may have looked the last time they were in use, versus some shiney paint job or even worse, a paint job that doesn't apply at all.

#4: Re: Another M114 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:23 pm
    ----
- J.McGillivray

This is the M114 155mm howitzer and not that crawly thing.

You mean its a C1?

Cool

#5: Re: Another M114 Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:53 pm
    ----
Officially the Canadian built guns may have being called 155mm Howitzer C1 but were often referred to as M114s to distinguish them from the 105mm C1.

www.calnan.com/swords/...14gun.html

#6: Re: Another M114 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:34 pm
    ----
Hi J! Hi Folks!

It's only right that an ex-gunner would have a liking for that version of the M-114. Razz

Thanks for the photos and explaining the different between a C-1 how. and a C-1 how. Shocked

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#7: Re: Another M114 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:46 pm
    ----
Hi all,

Is there anything that the Canucks don't name "C1"? I mean besides the "C2" and "C3", etc.? Wink

C

#8: Re: Another M114 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:24 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi all,

Is there anything that the Canucks don't name "C1"? I mean besides the "C2" and "C3", etc.? Wink

C

The C7?

Cool

#9: Re: Another M114 Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:36 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi all,

C

How many different things are called the "M1" by the Americans?

#10: Re: Another M114 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:56 am
    ----
- J.McGillivray
- C_Sherman
Hi all,

C

How many different things are called the "M1" by the Americans?

Point taken! Wink However, we appear to have compensated by designating all new kit with 4 and 5 digit numbers...trying to offset that whole M1 thing, I guess. How else do you explaing the current type numbering? Razz

C

#11: Re: Another M114 Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:07 am
    ----
I read somewhere a century ago, that Sorel Industries used an innovative oil bath technique for their machining. The part of the story that affixed itself to my one remaining brain cell (long story, don't ask - I don't remember it either) was how the oil impregnated the steel so well, that the gun was almost self-lubricating. Does this make sense to any other gunners?

#12: Re: Another M114 Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:03 pm
    ----
Self-lubricating? Considering all the time that gunners put in cleaning and lubricating their guns, and I don’t think so.

First you spread the legs, ooops… I mean the trails, than you make sure that it is well lubricated, and then you ram it home and at the appropriate time you …FIRE!!!.

Ahhh... the good old days. The best cure for a hangover is the first round fired from a 105 in the morning. It really clears the head.

Sorry I got distracted. Sorel Industries were building 25pdrs during the Second World War. When they built the 105mm C1s in the 1950s they used the same construction techniques to make the barrels as on the 25pdrs. The result was that the Canadian built guns had a much longer barrel life then the American built guns. The American guns were prone to cracking especially around the muzzle.

-> AFV News Discussion Board