Who volunteers (or works) where
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:16 pm
    ----
When I just looked at Taranov's Kubinka tour thread and found out he volunteers there (is that correct?) I started wondering It seems like on this list we have a pretty broad spectrum of folks associated with many of the leading armor collections. There are probably others that I just haven't made the connection with. Would folks mind chiming in with any musuem/collections they are associated with

I'll start with myself I volunteer at Aberdeen (although this summer they may wonder If I'm still alive I've been so busy at work)

#2: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:00 pm
    ----
I'd love to if there was something within driving distance - though my armored vehicle experience is limited to a year as a 113 TC/driver. Since there isn't, I volunteer at a dolphin and whale hospital. Cool

#3: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:29 pm
    ----
I've spent nearly a quarter century in the US Army armor and mechanized forces. I've commanded armor units and ran a maintenance school with my own motor pool of over a hundred pieces of tanks, 113s, Brads, M109s, 88s, etc. I now work at Fort Knox but not in or on tanks this time around.

#4: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:25 am
    ----
I have 19 years in a CANADIAN ARMOURED Regt. soon to be on my last year to my full 20th. My unit is the only unit with the Leo's and a HISTORICAL VEHICLE TROOP. Nothing better than seeing a M4A2E8 doing a car crush...............:)

#5: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:52 pm
    ----
Gents: I have been a volunteer at the Canadian War Museum for the last 6 years, initially as a researcher but now as guide in the Volunteer Interpretive program and in the library and archives.
Great access to all the collection, including lots of stuff that is generally out of view of the public.

Cheers!

Bruce

#6: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:39 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Currently I don't have the time. But I hope that if I should be able to retire some day, I would love to spend some time helping out at the museum here at Ft. Bliss.

A number of years back when I was in between careers and being a stay at home Dad, I would spend one day a week helping out at a museum call War Eagles" during one summer. It was interesing, some hard work and a lot of fun. It was a bit far to drive, so one a day a week was all I could aford at that time.

Last year I applied for a job openning at the Ft. Bliss museum. O-man, talk about a kid in candy shop!

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:14 am
    ----
I have 23+ years as an 11C Mortarman, working as a light Infantryman, Mechanized, and in Armor units. I have been associated with M106A2's, M1064A2, and A'3, and M557's. I have been in and around much armor in that time, but never actaully served on or operated a Tank or Bradley. I volunteered over 2,655 hrs at Ft Irwins museum over a 4 year period. I am currently stationed at Ft Hood where I still have about 6 years to go till retirement. I am 1SG for HHD, 49th Transportation Battalion, (I reclassed this year after my third knee surgery). I am trying to compile vehicle history, serial numbers and USA numbers for the vehicles at the two museums here. They have no clue as to what they have. If anyone needs some pictures or information about Ft Hood and its vehicles, I'm your guy. I also have alot on Ft Irwins collection. Anyone coming this way, contact me and I'll show you around.

#8: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: Craig PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:28 pm
    ----
we have 3/5 great volenteers at my museum .we can use more!!!!!!!!!!!
we are in south el monte 10 miles from downtown los angeles Ca
members.aol.com/tankland/museum.htm
we have a great armor display

#9: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:36 pm
    ----
- Craig
we have 3/5 great volenteers at my museum .we can use more!!!!!!!!!!!
we are in south el monte 10 miles from downtown los angeles Ca
members.aol.com/tankland/museum.htm
we have a great armor display

Craig,
Russ Buchan and I have been flirting for the longest time with a rendevouz at yer place....maybe we can work something out for a nice visit, anyway, since we both crewed some of your vehicles. Wink

I'd love to volunteer, but I'm down here in 'Dago and travel a lot to boot. Still, it'd be great to deliver on that promise we made to ourselves to come fondle your M48's and such.....

Glad you joined us here, anyway!

Doug

#10: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: Craig PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:42 pm
    ----
thats sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

#11: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:12 am
    ----
Cool!
I know Russ is just getting back up to speed after some personal issues, so let's all PM each other for a tentative time. I gather we can reach you by phone at the El Monte facility during business hours?
D.

#12: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: Craig PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:17 am
    ----
626 442 1776 ask for craig

#13: Re: Who volunteers (or works) where Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:50 pm
    ----
I guess I should 'weigh-in' on this.

I have been here in the Ft Knox area since July 01. Began Volunteer activities at the Patton Museum in Jan 02. (...and still going strong...)

I know many of ya'll know of my passion for....Well you know!!

This is my personal project, which begs for my attention....

"I know a lot of nothing, but a little of everything..."

I retired in Jan 06, having completed 21 Years as a 19K. (M-1 Abrams Tank Crewman).

Along with my primary focus (hobby) I am really interested in everything Armor and furthering my knowledge in the field of Armor History.

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board