M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood...
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:46 pm
    ----
Looks like we need some clarifications here:

The M36B1 is an M36 (90mm armed) open topped turret installed on an M4A3 Chassis (regular Sherman chassis - not converted to the M10 style chassis). There were very few of these.

The M36 (plain) were built on the converted M4A3 Chassis (also used for the M10A1 - which were armed with the 3 inch AT gun).

The M36B2 is an M36 turret installed on an M4A2 converted chassis (such as an M10 plain).

So the photo in Chris Hughes' post above is either an M36 or an M36B2 depending on the type of engine. Those in Jeff Button's photos are the M36B1 on a regular Sherman hull.

I think I got that right.

Chris Neel

#17: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:33 pm
    ----
the Jackson that is in Hubbard OH.

#18: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:56 pm
    ----
"Judging by the welded in fill on the front of the hull..."

Huh!
I knew you could tell where the early multi-piece bow Shermans had been manufactured by the welding, but I didn't know you could do the same with late war one-piece bow M4A3s too.

Please expound further on welding differences with the late M4A3. Looks like I'm going to have to start paying closer attention to my reference photos!
Mr. Green

#19: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:36 am
    ----
Since I have been in touch with Joe DeMarco, he has sent me numerous pictures that help identify Shermans and varients. I'm attaching some of the pictures he's sent me. I have been compiling a book with the pictures and descriptions, quite interesting! Chrysler "fills" appear as half-moons, where Fisher "fills" appear more squared off. Also, as you look head-on at a Sherman, the left side, front Glacis edgs may have a build number and that would indicate a Chrysler build. The other side would indicate a Fisher build. I have found these numbers either very easy to see or buried under paint and virtually non-existant. Also, you might see a "CP" in front of a number on the front left side of the hull, (as you look head-on). Joe thinks this indicates a Chrysler Plymouth number. I hope this helps. He has helped me so much and I just want to pass it along since its been brought up.

[img]
i64.photobucket.com/al....jpg[/img]

Last edited by SFC_Jeff_Button on Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:04 am; edited 3 times in total

#20: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: dlevy PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:57 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the great pictures you are providing on the M36B1. Another way to tell if this one was modified in Yugoslavia (aside from the large extension box on the back wall of the engine compartment), is to see if there were large boxes or at least the weld marks from them (if they were removed) around the head lights.

I can send a picture of an unmodified M36 and M36B1, but I cannot figure out how to attach them here.

I am very curious to know if this one was modified or in its original configuration.

Regards,
Dave

#21: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:33 pm
    ----
I stopped back by the M36B1 over my lunch and got some pictures of the rear engine "box", and headlight areas. There are markings on the hull and I believe this vehicle to be ex-yugo. Also the from floor plate was missing and I sat up inside and got some interior shots. I was in uniform thought and didn't want to ruin my uniform so I plan to go back within the week, climb inside, and get some really good pictures! I'll be posting these pictures this evening.

#22: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:10 am
    ----
You need to keep a set of GI mechanics coveralls in your car so you'll be ready for these impromptu trips. You're in transportation don't they have those in your motorpool? Smile

#23: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:12 am
    ----
Here are the pictures I promised you, hopefully I can get inside of this beast this week sometime and get some better pictures!

#24: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:48 am
    ----
Yep! Its ex-Yugo! There are definite scars from the headlight guards. Thanks for the pics!

#25: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:41 am
    ----
It might be ex-yugo but is that engine out of a T-55?!?! Looks U.S. to me? Possibly switched back to American power?

#26: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: dlevy PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:46 am
    ----
HI Jeff,

Nice work on the pictures!! Thanks a lot.

It is definitely the Russian engine. From the pictures you have provided, this looks like the original way it was modified. The pictures inside depict several other of the modifications.

Picture 8 & 11: the green boxes mounted on the underside of the glacis are for the modified intercom system.

Picture 11: the rusty shaft on the mid-right of the picture looks like the bottom of a machingun pedestal mount. (could be original US?)

Picture 10: the dash is not original sherman / M36B1 it is the modification. The metal loops behind the dash held air tanks used to start the engine. All the thin tubing and valves mounted to the side wall are all part of the modificaiton.

Picture 12: The red tubing is part of the modification. The white vertical cylinders that have cables which run along the bottom of the hull deck and straight down are part of the original fire extinguisher pull mechanism.

In Picture 11, the black shaft in the middle top of the picture. It is some type of cover over the screw mechanism for the main (90mm) gun elevation mechanism. Any chance you could find out if it is a solid cover or leather / vinyl type boot? Maybe a better picutre??

It would be great if you could get some more interior pictures, especially under the floor, just in front of the firewall. There should be one large panel you can lift up to see the hugh exposed clutch.

Regards,
Dave

#27: Re: M36B1 Tank Destroyer at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:52 am
    ----
I'll do my best to see about getting inside. My weekends are pretty busy working / clearing ranch land with a friend who will deploy this October. I've been trying to assist him as much as possible before he leaves.

-> AFV News Discussion Board