M746 for Pascalbausset on request...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:37 am
    ----
OK guys, I know its not armor but. "thin-skin", but now that I'm in Transportation instead of Infantry, I have to tell you that, "Nothing Happens Until Something Moves". Tanks and armor dont get far without being hauled most of the way. When I first saw this vehicle, I thought it was Soviet because of it proximity to the Soviet display at the 4th ID museum. Well, Mr. "Pascalbausset" noticed this vehicle in the picture and asked for a walk-around. As most of you now know, who am I to deny a walk-around, haha. The first three pictures are from the requestor, however I suspect the one is mine he's added lettering to. Here's my question to all you armor types, do any of you have any experience with this vehicle, the precursur to todays HETT's. I'm sure Pascalbausset would like to hear your experiances. The passenger door has the 1/87 date painted on from when it recieved it's "Chemical Agent Reactive Coating", as well as it's USA number. The serial number is 746003 on the data plate. The build date block was un-stamped. I hope this walk-around is OK, enjoy!

#2: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: pascalbaussetLocation: France PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:35 am
    ----
Hi,

Many thanks for these nice pics.
I don't notice that site is only for AFVs. But as say Jeff tanks did'nt go without plenty of trucks
Thanks again.
Cheers
pascal

#3: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:41 am
    ----
Those are nice pics, thanks. Are those chains on the steering wheel meant for anti-theft? Why did the vehicle get replaced so quickly?

#4: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:38 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

During my time, 1964-1987, don't remember ever seeing one of those trucks. Sure don't remember any photos of a fifth wheel verison. I maybe wrong, but I don't think that vehicle was used as Dragon Wagon for tanks.

Isn't that the 8x8 truck frame that the Pershing Missile system was mounted on after being taken off the tracked carriers which were modified M113/M548s.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: pascalbaussetLocation: France PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:19 am
    ----
The M746 build by Ward La France is a HET.
Standardised by US Army in 1971, the first vehicles are completed in 1975. Production go till 1977 and 125 trucks are build.

The M746 was designed for use with the M747 60 tons semi trailer.

It served mainly in Europe and during his service there was two other tank transporter tractors: the M123 Big Mack and the Oshkosh C-HET M911.

Here a pic taken in Germany

For larger pics click on the thumbnail
source : US Tank transporters (post WW2) Tankograd American Special n° 3001

Cheers
pascal

Last edited by pascalbausset on Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:53 am
    ----
Here is a larger picture of the one previously posted. Either it just rained or they used some shiney paint because she sure is pretty! That looks like early 80's camo scheme. Alot of National Guard vehicles kep that pattern for quite some time. I was in the Ohio National Guard from 1982-1992 before coming Active, saw alot of that scheme.

#7: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:12 pm
    ----
- pascalbausset
Standardised by US Army in 1971, the first vehicles are completed in 1975. Production go till 1977 and 125 trucks are build.

It served mainly in Europe and during his service there was two other tank transporter tractors: the M123 Big Mack and the Oshkosh C-HET M911.

Cheers
pascal

I believe this is the vehicle we tested at the Armor Board in '71-'72 and was colloquially referred to as the "HET-70". It had a bench seat that would seat 8 across, IIRC. (Daddy, are we there yet?")

#8: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: pascalbaussetLocation: France PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:14 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- pascalbausset

Cheers
pascal

I believe this is the vehicle we tested at the Armor Board in '71-'72 and was colloquially referred to as the "HET-70". It had a bench seat that would seat 8 across, IIRC. (Daddy, are we there yet?")

The Het 70 is another truck. Very similar but another. Its an US/Germany project for a 4 axles truck tractor .He was tested and never enter in production. US developpe the Ward La France M746 and Germany the Faun SLT Elephant.

pascal

#9: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:02 pm
    ----
Sounds like the HET 70 was supposed to go with the MBT 70 Smile

Probably suffered the same fate

#10: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: pascalbaussetLocation: France PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
Yes that 's right. The MBT70 become the M1 Abrams and Leopard.

pascal

#11: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:07 am
    ----
So, was this tractor ever used in the U.S. or just Europe? I'm confused, and wonder how and why this is at Ft Hood and not Ft Eustis instead.

#12: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: pascalbaussetLocation: France PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:05 pm
    ----
Hi,
The M746 was used mainly in Europe, 125 truck were build for US Army (very little number) and seve in Inf or Cav regiments (due to pics in the Tankograd book)
Hope this will help you.
pascal

#13: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:10 am
    ----
Hi Pascal! Hi Folks!

- pascalbausset

The M746 was used mainly in Europe, 125 truck were build for US Army (very little number) and seve in Inf or Cav regiments (due to pics in the Tankograd book)

I can see them being attached to the Cav Regiments. But Inf Regiments? Infantry Regiments or maybe Brigades didn't have tank transporters. Dragon Wagons were all in a heavy truck company at the division and corps level.

Very interseting truck.
Sgt, Scouts out!

#14: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: pascalbaussetLocation: France PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:43 pm
    ----
Sorry, I've make a mistake in my previous post.
I will say Inf and Cav divisions not regiment
Cheers
pascal

#15: Re: M746 for Pascalbausset on request... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:45 pm
    ----
Assume you really mean Armored and Infantry Divisions? The only Cavalry division at the time was the 1st, and I dont believe it was ever stationed in Europe?

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board