Airborne Jeep
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Airborne Jeep Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:38 am
    ----
Hi all,

anyone out there know if this is a real thing or made up? I've never heard of it, but then Jeeps aren't really my thing!

www.marktplaats.nl/ind...71788.html

Tim,

#2: Re: Airborne Jeep Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:41 am
    ----
I vaguely remember reading about and seeing 'airborne jeeps that 'chopped and channeled' from standard jeeps. The idea of course was to reduce the weight having to be carried in a glider. I can't remember if the target was to get the weight low enough that they could put a jeep and an airborne 6pdr (a similarly lightened weapon) into one glider to keep the gun and the prime mover from being seperated

#3: Re: Airborne Jeep Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:20 pm
    ----
Austin Champ or "Nuffield Gutty" prototype? (the pics are labeled as "Nuffield Willy's")
Maybe a lashup of the Nuffield body and the Jeep 5 cwt as the title "NUFFIELD BODIED WILLY'S JEEP 5 CWT 4x4" suggests?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Champ

images.google.com/imag...eep&tab=wi

#4: Re: Airborne Jeep Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:19 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Austin Champ or "Nuffield Gutty" prototype? (the pics are labeled as "Nuffield Willy's")
Maybe a lashup of the Nuffield body and the Jeep 5 cwt as the title "NUFFIELD BODIED WILLY'S JEEP 5 CWT 4x4" suggests?

To me someone has gone to a great deal of trouble to recreate the Nuffield 1943 5cwt airborne jeep prototype.

Things that stand out... hood is too high and the radiator grill is noy rectangular enough.

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board