M60A1 or A3? (Was M60A0s, A1s and A3s?)
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60A1 or A3? (Was M60A0s, A1s and A3s?) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:43 pm
    ----
First batch...

Kalamazoo, MI

Fort Douglas UT (third one from the left)

Nettleson MS

Camp McKall NC

Freedom Hill Park MI

Florence SC

Homer GA

Grayling MI

Little Rock AR

Shelton NE

Post Falls ID

Westland MI

Church Hill TN

Baxter Springs KS

Holley NY

Millard NE

Pentwater MI

Temperence MI

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:36 pm; edited 3 times in total

#2: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:28 pm
    ----
More:

Little Rock AR

Monona IA

Camp McCain MS

Millersburg PA

Milford MI

Sturgis IN

Duluth NY

Annapolis MD

Alexander City AL

Athens TN

Chicago IL

Rigby ID

Kingsport TN

Holland MI

Knoxville TN

Manchester MI

St Louis MI

Caldwell ID

Alpharetta GA

Grayling MI

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:07 pm
    ----
The Dallas TX one is an M48

Cool

#4: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:18 pm
    ----
Thanks, I figured a Patton would sneak in there somehow. Obviously, in the absence of a view of the front hull, I didnt check the roadwheels.

Neil

#5: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:39 pm
    ----
Dallas???? I've gone through the pictures several times and I don't see any Labeled Dallas. I see Ft Douglas UT with several tanks from front to back an M-48, M-47, M-60, M-551? But I dont see any in Dallas and I don't think any other M-48s. What am I missing?

#6: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:06 am
    ----
Sorry, I already deleted it. It was really Irving TX anyway...

Neil

#7: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:02 pm
    ----
M60 experts,
I could really use your help identifying these for the USA AFV Register.

Neil

#8: Columbus, NE Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:09 pm
    ----
is an M60A3, I think. Definitely not an M60A0, though. I'm amazed at how many Slick 60s are out there!

Keep up the great work. Your list is most impressive and useful.

Cheers,

Scott Taylor

#9: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:11 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

The left side view and front left side view of the tank at Columbus NE is a M60A3.

All the others are M60A0s.

Except for the photo were the third tank is some type of M60. I can not see enough or see well enough to be sure it is a A0 or an A1/A3. I 'think' it maybe an A0.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:29 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

Hope this helps some. Drawings are from Squadron Signal publications Armor Number 23, M60 Patton in action, page 12.

The turret storage rack is helpfull if you can get a good view of it. The A0s is almost like the the type seen on the M48s. While the A1/A3 rack extends out past the sides of the turret and then turn back to sides.

Spot report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:52 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

I didnt check the roadwheels.

Be carefull about using the roadwheels. Many M60s ended their service life with M48 type steel road wheels.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: Columbus, NE Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:17 pm
    ----
- Scott_Taylor
is an M60A3, I think. Definitely not an M60A0, though. I'm amazed at how many Slick 60s are out there!

Keep up the great work. Your list is most impressive and useful.

Cheers,

Scott Taylor

You must mean Columbus NE, yep an A3 snuck in there as well. Thanks, will delete it.

Neil

#13: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:39 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

The turret storage rack is helpfull if you can get a good view of it. The A0s is almost like the the type seen on the M48s. While the A1/A3 rack extends out past the sides of the turret and then turn back to sides.

Spot report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Okay, now I am thoroughly confused... The above graphic shows only the A0s with the Patton-style turrets? I thought all A1s had Patton style turrets, and that A3s had the crimped nose style turrets...

Neil

#14: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:30 pm
    ----
Neil, my Guard unit had A1's and they had the pinched, or "needlenosed" turrets as we called them. I believe all A1's had this style turret, with some having a "cheekpiece" added near the front close to the turret ring. Maybe someone can post an illustrayion of this cheekpiece?

#15: Re: M60A1 or A0? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:34 pm
    ----
Okay, so everything I thought was an A1 was an A0... Thats easy enough... But now how do you tell between an A1 and an A3?

Next I'll find out I dont know my A2s...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board