VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:45 pm
    ----
This is the outside display, they also have a lot of artillery
displayed, a Stuart and a M1917 are inside but the museum
was closed when I was there this time, this is another collection that is
showing a lack of care. As we drove around most of these
museums had no visitors except us. I don't know if this is
because of the day we were there or a general lack of interest
of the public. To keep funding these museums need visitors,
so go when you get a chance....again anyone wanting more
pictures just ask...FEEL FREE TO ID THESE

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:02 am
    ----
Isn't the 3rd photo a PT-76? Ropkey has one of those Dusters with the original camo still on it too.

Jeff

#3: Re: VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:20 am
    ----
No, just a 2S1. Soviet self-propelled artillery piece.

Neil

#4: Re: VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:29 am
    ----
I was at Ft Eustis this past March-April and visited this museum. I got numerous photo's to include some interior shots. They were open that day and I got to speak with some of the volunteers.
First we'll start with the vehicles you wanted identified.
- M42A1 "Duster" with twin 40mm cannons, built by Cadillac-GMC.
- M60A3 built by Chrysler
- Model 1974, 122mm howitzer, Soviet Union / Iraq
- Self-Propelled Howitzer, T-97 / M53, built by Pacific Car and Foundry
The museum was founded in 1923 as the American Legion Museum. It currently has over 60,000 artifacts. Very interesting museum and I got all the brochures they had to include a list of all the armor they have. I also recorded many of the serial numbers but would have to dig them up from where ever I left them.

#5: Re: VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:48 am
    ----
thanks jeff, this seems to work well i put up the pics and you all id them. I will be among the missing for a few days, going to maine,i have a house sitting offer in indy when i get back, might be a good time for a trip to ropkry's

#6: Re: VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:42 am
    ----
Let me know! I need to get back there and drool over the Pershing! Laughing

Jeff

#7: Re: VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:00 am
    ----
- JeffStringer
Let me know! I need to get back there and drool over the Pershing! Laughing

Jeff

Hey, I'm overdue for Atterbury and Crawfordsville..... Sounds like a mini-roadtrip/ 'reunion'.....!!!

Well, at least then I won't have to apoligize sooo much, as the last little get together...

Don

#8: Re: VIRGINIA MILITARY MUSEUM, NEWPORT NEWS, VA Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:56 am
    ----
don, hold up on that roadtrip till i get back, maybe we can all go together...i'll be back by the 20th.....

-> AFV News Discussion Board