Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Paul_Jungnitsch PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:59 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Do you know what's up with that red color that the two vehicles were painted in? Some kind of parade livery or what? It was obviously faded from exposure, but it's hideous

Red oxide primer, buy in any hardware store. Good for raw steel as it prevents rusting and dries quick. Easy to topcoat later. One interesting thing is that you can weld through it easily as it seems to be conductive.

As noted it also looks extremely ugly.

#47: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:50 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

BTR 50, I think. What's the skinny on these? (I know it was PT-76 based, but was it any good? Me likey) I found this vehicle esthetically appealing.

If I remember right, the BTR 50 was the first full tracked APC the Soviets developed sometime after WW II. It started out as an open topped infantry carrier. That missile launcher is also (along with the PT76) based on this vehicle. After it was replaced as an APC by the BMP FOVs, it was then used for a number of other supporting missions until replaced. If I remember right, it is not longer used by 1st Esholen units.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#48: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:54 pm
    ----
Bumping the topic (while I could still find it) for pics to be added pending my return home next weekend.

Sorry Taranov...no chance for a return walk-around of the you-know-what, but I have about five additional pics of the two vehicles in question from better angles that are a definite improvement on the ones from the first trip (and...they fixed that nasty hole in the ground so it all looks better).

Also, some more angles on the Pz.IV and some other stuff...coming soon. I'll weed the "Back to Romania" thread out now and just add to this one for continuity.

#49: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: ossie PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:46 pm
    ----
Hi Doug

ok where in bucharest is the museum & what sector.
yes we do know romaina my wife is romainan and we plan to go to in laws in febuary.

doug it has been a long time since we talked , drop me a line still useing the old email address, oztank @ morsbourn.freeserve.co.uk
thanks
ossie

#50: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:35 am
    ----
- ossie
Hi Doug

ok where in bucharest is the museum & what sector.
yes we do know romaina my wife is romainan and we plan to go to in laws in febuary.

doug it has been a long time since we talked , drop me a line still useing the old email address, oztank @ morsbourn.freeserve.co.uk
thanks
ossie

Hi Ossie!
Purty much in the center of town just across from the Military Hospital (well, somewhat on the SW side, really). I'll post a street address for you when I get back and before you go. I might even be able to scan a map page for ya'. It's not hard to find....huge place. Be sure to tour the ancient stuff in Bldg. 1 too...the Bronze ane and Roman period displays are very impressive!

Ciao!
D.

#51: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: ossie PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:25 pm
    ----
hi ya

this must be near the univerisata, have you been to the other little one , this is near the pitz hut which is in basement of the old miltary building.
there is a cafe in the front now with some great steps.

i tried to look for the museum when i was out there.
what do yopu think of Romaina. the town is great for shopping,

speak soon ossie

#52: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:14 pm
    ----
It's in Sector One, I'll get back to ya' about the other stuff...gotta' run. Was in Cluj-Napoca yesterday and today (Pediatric Hostpitals #2 and 3)...and off to Brasov at 0500 tomorrow....busy, busy, busy!

#53: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:27 am
    ----
OK, by (late) request from P-O and Taranov, here's everything new I had gotten by the time of my visit on Saturday the 20th (before the request for the walkaround, "T"...sorry) on the T.A.C.A.M. R2 and the Skoda R2. Same funky red paint, but the grounds have been cleaned up. I took these in early morning light so they are lit from different angle than before, but with higher contrast than I would like. I think Jim Webb is going out later this year.
I also have some additional info and historical pics from a book I'll scan and post later.

(You can view these larger and cleaner by right clicking the properties and copying and pasting to your browser window...and I can send larger res versions if needed for posting or something)

AND...since there's always room for some Mk.IV pics, here are some more now that the leaves are off the trees:

and a comparison-for-size shot:

More to follow....

#54: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:41 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

OK, remember the Sherman? I got in a little closer in the rear in better light and zoomed in on what appears and I believe to be an original M1919 MG, not a replica. Incredibly, it actually swivels in it's ball mount even with all that rust. It looks authentic from the outside as well, though the jacket is about half rusted away. Also, though I didn't take a pic, the armor addon plates are largely rust-free around the weld areas on this vehicle, though the plates themselves match the rest of the vehicle.

#55: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:03 pm
    ----
Off Topic. This was nasty, I missed this on my first visit. Krupp 75mm that blowed up real good. From the damage to all quadrants of the gun, I can't imagine that any member of the crew escaped without injury, if at all.

#56: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:48 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Seems that the .30 is upside down.. look at the aiming sight..

Doug, thanks for your photos, I updated the PDF file with the photos of the LT-35 and the TACAM R-2.

Pierre-Olivier

#57: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:12 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
- Doug_Kibbey

Seems that the .30 is upside down.. look at the aiming sight..

Doug, thanks for your photos, I updated the PDF file with the photos of the LT-35 and the TACAM R-2.

Pierre-Olivier

Well, yeah...as well as the feed tray cover and the charging handle on the wrong side...the whole thing is sloppy but I think it's real. I was amazed the ball mount actually moved, given all the rust.

I gather you downloaded the higher res versions from the "properties" like I suggested...if you need higher yet, I got 'em. Wink

#58: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 pm
    ----
- ossie
hi ya

this must be near the univerisata, have you been to the other little one , this is near the pitz hut which is in basement of the old miltary building.
there is a cafe in the front now with some great steps.

i tried to look for the museum when i was out there.
what do yopu think of Romaina. the town is great for shopping,

speak soon ossie

Ossie,
It's at str. Mircea Vulcanescu, nr. 125-127, Sector 1 between Calea Plevnei and Dinicu Golescu Telephone 00 40 21 212 60 15

Hours are 0900-1700 Tuesday-Sunday. Closed Mondays.

#59: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:18 pm
    ----
[quote="Doug_Kibbey"]And now, the big stuff.

A translation of the plates for the Skoda howitzer plates, located elsewhere reads:

"High power rapid fire howitzer Skoda system

Model 1916
Calibre 380mm
Maximum range 14600m
Weight without basement 81700kg
Projectile 740kg

To support the offensive of the Austo-Hungarian Army in May 1916, Skoda Works had built just two examples Md. 1916, named "Barbara" and "Gudrun". The Romanian Army had captured the piece "Gudrun". The howitzer is shown in march, dismantled and mounted on four cars (for barrel, for carriage and for basement). With special tyres to the wheels it can run also on the road."

Model 1916
Calibre 420mm
Maximum range 14600m
Weight without basement 113000kg
Projectile 1000kg

Built by Skoda Works to destroy the high fortified positions. It is shown in march, on two cars(for barrel and for carriage). Used by Austro-Hungarian artillery, the howitzer, unique in the world, had been captured by the Romanian Army during the First World War."

I have some close up shots of the recoil systems of these weapons that I had time to study more closely this time that I'll post later. The one for the 420 is interesting in that it is inverted, which gave me fits the first time.

By the way, on the page below, you can find pics of these babies assembled ready to fire. Copy and past the relevant pic title to your browser window:
www.militaryphotos.net...79952.html

"Gudrun" and the 420 assembled:

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

#60: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:44 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
I think Jim Webb is going out later this year.

Yes in March...

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board