Crosswind Landings!!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: Crosswind Landings!! Author: JG300-1BulletLocation: Odessa, Texas PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:29 am
    ----
I ran across this little video while checking out the Traron web site which is the Training Squadron for the Commemorative Air Force Which I'm proud to say that my Squadron hosts during the annual airshow at Midland, TX
I have pictures of the Airshow that I'll post later when I get some free time, but anyhoo check out these crosswind landings.......... Shocked

www.traron.org/xwinds.htm

#2: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: Combat PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:50 am
    ----
really cool! That last one was sick! Shocked

#3: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: SpostaLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:11 am
    ----
Ida know man. Those first class seats aren't lookin' so great now. Mr. Green

#4: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:12 am
    ----
Shocked WOW Shocked

great find, thanks for sharing!

fled
Cool

#5: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:09 am
    ----
WOW is right! Incredible!! Shocked

#6: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: RAF92_BattleHawkLocation: British Columbia, Canada PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:53 am
    ----
I'm suprised the gear did'nt rip clean off Shocked

#7: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:04 am
    ----
Those triple seven shots are flight testing, not passenger carrying, but as I'm on the trip seven a lot, it's good to know the gear can take that kinda' shearing force!

#8: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:45 am
    ----
Love the music.
Was the last one of the 777 still being blown about when it was down? Or was that just the after-effect of the skewed landing?

#9: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: EURO_Viking PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:23 am
    ----
Nice clip... imagine the pilot's view in one of those wide-bodys in max crosswind.. to get the main gear centered on the runway the flightdeck is actually positioned outside the runway. Quiet interesting if you know what I mean...

#10: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:20 pm
    ----
Pretty amazing stuff. Neat video.

I'm reminded of watching a B52 land in a stiff crosswind a few years back. The landing gear 'castored' to stay parallel to the runway, but the plane itself was flying 30 degrees or more off centerline. Very weird to watch. I'd imagine that it wasn't a lot of fun for the pilot, as that slab-sided fuselage was renowned for being affected by crosswinds.

C

#11: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: RAF92_BattleHawkLocation: British Columbia, Canada PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:49 pm
    ----
Always interesting to watch a B-52 make a crosswind landing.

#12: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: JG300_HuntLocation: WA State PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:23 am
    ----
Yeah, the passengers in the rear of the aircraft shouldn't have a clean view of the runway on final, or even touchdown for that matter - couldn't imagine waking up and looking out the window to that sight!!

#13: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:40 am
    ----
Waking up?...lol

I was actually amazed that the tires didn't scrub off the rims. Can you imagine the pressure on those at touch down?

#14: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: Combat PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:51 pm
    ----
I was amazed at that one photographer running a little closer to get a better look! LOL

#15: Re: Crosswind Landings!! Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:13 pm
    ----
I don't know why that video is made up a like an advertisement, those are test planes from Boeing testing (gasp!) the crosswind capability of their heavy planes Smile

Just so you guys know, those wheels are designed to land like that. They have to be. Take the 747. In a normal aircraft, a normal crosswind landing consists of banking the plane into the wind and adding rudder in the opposite direction to keep the plane facing and flying down the centerline. The pilot then lands the aircraft on the upwind wheel first, then brings down the downwind wheel, maintaining control with the rudder. The 747 can't really do that, so they've got to land in a crab. Thus, Boeing designed the landing gear on the 747 to land at up to a 45 angle by using a castoring system the wheels--the gear line up with the direction of travel at landing. The pilot can then use the rudder to line up with the runway. I havn't ever heard of them doing that with the 777, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put a little bit in.

-> Officer's Club