Divisions, Regiments, Brigades (and history)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Divisions, Regiments, Brigades (and history) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:08 pm
    ----
Following up on Doug - I didnt mean to say that they would use the regimental name to identify a battalion, I should have stated it differently:

If an average US Army soldier says he is with the 1st Infantry, he most likely means he is a member of the 1st Infantry Regiment (ie and therefore in a battalion of the 1st Infantry Regiment). Like Doug said, its taken as a given.

Keep in mind the regimental system has gone through a lot more changes since ROAD - there's been CARS and now USARS. In the last 20 or so years there has been a revival of regimental pride & affiliation. I have even seen branch pins (ie crossed rifles, etc) with regimental numbers on them come back (probably not officially approved).

Neil

#32: Re: Divisions, Regiments, Brigades (and history) Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:19 pm
    ----
Infantry, cavalry, armor and artillery regimental (and battalion) numbers on non-subdued pin on and sew on branch insignia has been around ever since I came on active duty in 1987. It's always been authorized for wear in AR 670-1 (my 1987 reg actually uses the term "will wear"), although we were always told to not wear it for an official DA photo. As officers, we were highly encouraged to wear branch insignia with regimental numbers.

The metal insignia just had the regimental number. Sew on insignia for BDUs had the battalion and regimental number embroidered on and was done locally by the alteration shop.

-> AFV News Discussion Board