For the Zeppelin fans (Graf, not Led)....
-> Officer's Club

#1: For the Zeppelin fans (Graf, not Led).... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:43 pm
    ----
So, last trip down to Argentina, I took a camera and grabbed this from the lobby. Graf Zeppelin over the Park Hotel (now a Marriott) on the parque in Buenos Aires. Pic isn't dated, but I think it's like '37 or '38.

A mighty fine hotel, I might add, if you like the classics. Wink
I try to cop the upper corner room on either side of little white smokestack because I have a view of the River Platte and the Parque.

I believe the captions reads "The Graf on your first voyage", whatever year that was...

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10454/normal_parkhotelthen%7E0.jpg[/img]

And today....

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10454/normal_parkhotelnow%7E0.jpg[/img]

#2: Re: For the Zeppelin fans (Graf, not Led).... Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:43 pm
    ----
intresting stuff, from what i see on net this is 1934. i found another intresting pic from that date with what looks like the same hotel, check it out, you knowing the area may confirm this.

The Graf-Zeppelin LZ-127 was a German hydrogen-filled civil airship which operated a passenger service between Friedrichshafen and Buenos Aires in the South Atlantic. The Graf-Zeppelin was 776 feet long and 100 feet in diameter and was powered by five Maybach engines providing a top speed of 80 mph.
oh theres another thing a video shot in 1934 of it flying there too, i'll see if i can dig it out.

#3: Re: For the Zeppelin fans (Graf, not Led).... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:25 pm
    ----
Banshee...
I'd need another angle on that to know. While the hotel looks similar, it ain't that square and is bordered on one side by the parque. However, what passes for maybe a parque in that pic puts the river in the wrong place...and when I say river, BTW, the Rio de la Plata is more like 50km wide at that point (between B.A. and Uruguay).

Just can't tell from that pic and angle.

Be interested in whatever else you find. Love that city, too, BTW.

#4: Re: For the Zeppelin fans (Graf, not Led).... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:00 am
    ----
Wow, shows how much I know about Zeppelins.
I didn't know they went down to S.America.
How long would that trip have taken?

#5: Re: For the Zeppelin fans (Graf, not Led).... Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:30 pm
    ----
Yup Doug, on second look thats not the hotel (pity i coulda sold Marriott another pic for the hotel) lol, but intresting stuff never the less. seems most pictures available at that location come in at 1934 theres heaps of Zep sites on the net. Not sure on the flight time for that trip but i'm sure these things beat the liners of the day by a chunk....

-> Officer's Club