The History Channel
-> Officer's Club

#1: The History Channel Author: FF_StepChildLocation: Hampton Va. US PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:19 am
    ----
The new series DOG FIGHTS recreates famous battles using state-of-the-art computer graphics. With up to 25 percent of the program consisting of animation, viewers will feel like they're in the battle, facing the enemy. First-hand accounts will drive the story. Rare archival footage and original shooting supplement the remarkable computer graphics.

MIG ALLEY - Season Premiere November 3 @ 10PM/9C
Air Force fighter pilots risk their lives flying sleek F-86 Sabres above “Mig Alley� – the most dangerous piece of sky in the Korean War. The high-speed twists and turns of history’s first jet dogfights pit American aces Robbie Risner and Ralph Parr in the battles of their lives against nimble Russian-built MIG-15 fighters.

AIR AMBUSH - November 10 @ 10PM/9C
Legendary fighter pilot, Colonel Robin Olds, sets an intricate trap for the North Vietnamese MiG-21’s. His squadron, the Wolfpack, disguises its lethal F-4 Phantoms as vulnerable bombers. The MIGs scream in to challenge the Americans. The result is the most elaborate air sting of the war… code-name…Operation Bolo.

FLYING TIGERS - November 17 @ 10PM/9C
Two weeks after Pearl Harbor, a courageous, rag-tag band of American mercenaries dare to challenge the overwhelming might of the Japanese Air Force. The legendary “Flying Tigers� slash through the skies of China, and help vanquish the unstoppable Japanese. Follow leading Tiger aces Tex Hill and John Alison as their P-40 Tomahawks fight to the death against the agile Japanese I-97 Nate.

GUADALCANAL - November 24 @ 10PM/9C
August 1942… the Solomon Islands. Heroic, die-hard American pilots of the tiny Cactus Air Force match skills and instincts against top Japanese aces as they battle in the skies above Guadalcanal. Legendary Marine Capt John Smith and Medal of Honor recipients Jeff De Blanc and Jim Swett pit their tough F-4F Wildcats against the relentless Japanese Zeros. At stake - the fate of the Pacific War.

HELL OVER HANOI - December 1 @10PM/9C
The skies over Vietnam. They fight in a supersonic world, where split second decisions determine if they live - or die. American F4 Phantom pilots Fred Olmstead and Dan Cherry take on the famed MiG-21 - the most feared threat in the sky. And one American, Steve Ritchie, becomes a dog fighting legend as an Air Force Ace. You're in the cockpit with some of the fiercest dogfighting ever seen in Vietnam!

THE ZERO KILLERS - December 8 @ 10PM/9C
1943...the skies over the Pacific. The infamous Japanese Zero is decimating American aircraft. No allied plane can match Japan's deadliest fighter plane manned by killed Imperial Navy veterans. The American Navy rushes to deploy a new fighter to take on the unstoppable Zero...the F6F Hellcat. The Zero has met its match. Now, you're in the cockpit with legendary dogfighters Robert Duncan, Hamilton McWhorter and Alex Vraciu...their epic dogfights blazing a new chapter in the annals of aerial warfare.

DEATH OF THE JAPANESE NAVY - December 15 @ 10PM/9C
1944...the Pacific. It is one of the most amazing, lopsided naval battles in history: A mighty Japanese fleet let by the Yamato, the biggest battleship in the world - versus Taffy 3, a small U.S. task unit of tin can destroyers and baby flat-tops...ships too weak to fight and too slow to run. David battles Goliath in a fight for survival - with the lives of thousands of American soldiers in the balance.

THE LAST GUNFIGHTER - December 22 @ 10PM/9C
The U.S. Navy's top fighter, the F8 Crusader flown by skilled fighter jocks Pail Speer and Phil Wood, tackles the fierce North Vietnamese MiG over the killing skies of Vietnam. Re-live one of the longest, gut-wrenching dogfights on record as Lt. Commander Richard Schaffert - out of missles and with his guns jammed - takes on a lethal MiG-17 and the best enemy pilot he's ever faced. He's got one chance - the amazing capabilities of the F8 Crusader, "the last gunfighter".

The History Channel

#2: Re: The History Channel Author: SpostaLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:15 pm
    ----
Got the DVR set! Looking forward to those CGI animations.

#3: Re: The History Channel Author: sweets PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:48 pm
    ----
gr8 I love the history channel Beau-fils de merci Mr. Green Wink

#4: Re: The History Channel Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:33 pm
    ----
Saw the ads last night for the first time. Looks awesome, but now I have to rehook-up the VCR.

#5: Re: The History Channel Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:54 am
    ----
I'll start checking the regular resources for those... Wink

#6: Re: The History Channel Author: Thud68Location: AZ USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:58 pm
    ----
Saw the first one last night. Excellent show!!!!!!!!! Great explanations of the maneuvers. Great show for first time combat flight simmers.
Love to see more of these kinda shows. Something about the one on one situations makes them very interesting.

#7: Re: The History Channel Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:02 pm
    ----
I watched the one on Korea and Mig Alley. Nice interviews, OK graphics (I kinda' winced at what resembled 30G manuvers during the turning fights). Even CFS3 was WAY more realistic in this regard. But they did explain the fights well.

#8: Re: The History Channel Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:07 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
I watched the one on Korea and Mig Alley. Nice interviews, OK graphics (I kinda' winced at what resembled 30G manuvers during the turning fights). Even CFS3 was WAY more realistic in this regard. But they did explain the fights well.

Watched that one also.

Wasn't that the one with Ascout's drinking buddy "Randall Harold "Duke" Cunningham" or was that the second one? Razz

#9: Re: The History Channel Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:20 pm
    ----
- JG300-fr8ycat
Wasn't that the one with Ascout's drinking buddy "Randall Harold "Duke" Cunningham" or was that the second one? Razz

FOUL!

But since you invoke the name of the convicted one, here's a story for ya'...

I've met and flown (commercially) with the boy on a couple of occasions out of San Diego and exchanged cards and war stories. A coupla' weeks before his sentencing, I got a phone call at work from his legal defense firm soliciting a favorable "character reference" (I picture a huge conferance table littered with business cards from contacts that had never contributed to his campaigns....as my boss, who had, didn't get such a call). I explained, with a broad and probably audible smile why I didn't think I could offer my support in good concience, given the circumstances.

The calling attorney was very polite and understanding....as if he'd heard the same response a few hundred times already and we ended the call.

From "ace" to "crook", just like that.... Rolling Eyes

-> Officer's Club