Old Cannon
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Old Cannon Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:07 pm
    ----
Here's an old cannon for you artillery folks,
I have no idea what it is but I'm sure one of you will ID it. ArmyJunk2, If I recall correctly you mentioned you track cannons.

Joe D

#2: Re: Old Cannon Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:21 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Could that be a Indian 70mm Mountain Gun?
Used on the North West Frontier of India with some going to Iraq during WW I.

A cannon that broke down into six mule loads.
The barrel screwed apart into two loads. That hump on top the barrel just in front of the shield.

Could be set up and firing in less that two minutes.

My guess!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Old Cannon Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:49 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

I think Roy means the 2.75" Mountain Gun Mark 1 which it is.....

Cool

PS to Roy - virtually none of the designations in that Kosar book are correct...

#4: Re: Old Cannon Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:55 pm
    ----
British 2.75-inch mountain gun. Rare - only 183 built in total, where is the gun if you don't mind me asking?? I would like to add it to mine and Dick Pope's World War I Artillery List. thanks

#5: Re: Old Cannon Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:57 pm
    ----
Hi Jim! Hi Folks!

- JimWeb
- Roy_A_Lingle

I think Roy means the 2.75" Mountain Gun Mark 1 which it is.....

Cool

The reference I found it in listed it as a 70mm with 2.75" in parenthesis. I just used the mm sense it was listed first.

Don't know about the Mark, my reference doesn't list any Mark numbers.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Old Cannon Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:59 pm
    ----
Hi AJ2! Hi Folks!

- armyjunk2
British 2.75-inch mountain gun. Rare - only 183 built in total, where is the gun if you don't mind me asking?? I would like to add it to mine and Dick Pope's World War I Artillery List. thanks

Joe D is in Iraq right now so my guess is that cannon is also.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: Old Cannon Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:06 pm
    ----
www.king-emperor.com/article1.htm

#8: Re: Old Cannon Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:14 pm
    ----
Hi SB! Hi Folks!

Great history article! Thanks!

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: Old Cannon Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:30 pm
    ----
Osprey New Vanguard "British Artillery 1914-19" See facing page 33 bottom pic

#10: Re: Old Cannon Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:48 pm
    ----
Hey AJ2,
It's in Iraq. Camp Rustamiyah. Same place as the T72 I posted a while back. You can use the pictures for your list too. Is it rare enough that it might be worth taking to the States??? Looks light enough to pack in a few boxes once taken apart. Just kidding. I remember there was a big stink on the old thread over a 105mm Sherman that some folks thought was stealing. I also spotted some larger guns with 18Pdr stamped on the breech ring. I'm assuming they are 18 pounders. They look about as old with wooden spoked wheels. Pictures to follow eventually. If you need detailed pictures of the British 2.75 I can PM them to you.

Joe D

#11: Re: Old Cannon Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:07 pm
    ----
Frankly it might be. You might want to contact the Center for Military History. I'm sure they've got folks/an office over there somewhere...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board