ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:29 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,
This is yesterdays road trip, I did not attempt to include anything in the Patton Museum or the storage buildings. I didn't do the gates (a guy with a gun said I couldn't) and I didn't find 7 buildings on Neil's list. I will go back and try to locate them. Fort Knox has lots of construction going on and things aren't where they were and new things are out.. I will break this into 3 posts, just a note, the Marines say they start the M60 they have once a month. as usual feel free to correct. also anyone that would like more picture of any vehicle, i have four of each i can post or send you. Roy Lingle says "right click on the photos and select 'save as' and you will see the location data".

#2: Re: ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1 Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:01 am
    ----
I see T-29 and (I think) T-30 painted on 2 of those. I can do my own research on those without having to bother you guys.
Someone tell me what these are so I can look 'em up...

BTW armyjunk2, that's a nice camera!

#3: Re: ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:56 am
    ----
Dennis, I have a copy of Development of Armored Vehicles, Vol. 1, Tanks by The Armored School, most of the post WWI to pre 1945 T-series are in this book. It was printed in 1947. I can send you the specs if you like. I will do the T32 next time I go to Knox.
Sony MVC-CD350 3.2Megs I like it because it uses a small CD, pics can just be stored on the CD and thank you

#4: Re: ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:53 pm
    ----
Sony MVC-CD350 3.2Megs I like it because it uses a small CD, pics can just be stored on the CD and thank you

I had the loan of one these earlier this year and I think its the ideal camera for AFV buffs because of the 3" CD that it stores the images on. The only hangup I had with it was that it tended to be a little slow writing the images to the CD but I understand that this does vary with individual cameras and the newer ones are much faster.

My next camera will probably be a Mavica purely because of the CD.

Cool

#5: Re: ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1 Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:39 pm
    ----
jim, i hate to say this but i think Sony has decided to drop the CD format, too many people like it...

#6: Re: ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:41 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
jim, i hate to say this but i think Sony has decided to drop the CD format, too many people like it...

Typical.....

Cool

#7: Re: ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:22 am
    ----
- Dennis_Smith
I see T-29 and (I think) T-30 painted on 2 of those. I can do my own research on those without having to bother you guys.
Someone tell me what these are so I can look 'em up...

Dennis

The T-'heavy series' eventually became the M103. I believe the 'Firepower' book by hunnicutt is a good reference.

Don

#8: Re: ROAD TRIP TO FORT KNOX, static displays post 1 Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:49 pm
    ----
The T-29 had a 105mm gun, the T-30 had a 155mm gun and the T-34 had a 120mm gun, all on a common hull. Very cool tanks (my personal favorites) that never made it to production status, as the war ended. They lived out their useful days as test platforms for what eventually became the M103 heavy tank.

-> AFV News Discussion Board