installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro...
-> Software

#1: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:09 pm
    ----
Whelp, went out and bought XP 64 Pro after running FSX thinking it would 'unlock' the full power of my amd 4000 LOL (wrong, tests show XP 64 pro get a slight decrease in performance on games LOL www.simhq.com/_technol..._043a.html )...

But not one to "waste" a product, I thought I might buy anotherl harddrive and throw it on that. Will it work or should I put it on ebay and be done with it?

Rolling Eyes

#2: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:10 pm
    ----
I haven't tried it Slow, but I have put XP Pro as two seperate OS' on one disk and would think what you want to do can be done too... Wink

At one time, I had XP Pro, Vista Beta, Memphis Linux and MacTiger10XPPro all running on one drive...lol

#3: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:35 pm
    ----
Thanks Bush, I decided to sell it... although my HD is getting owful noisy lately running FSX, I know theres been some posts on CPU usage being 100% in FSX - anyone hearing any funmnmy HD sounds running it too?

May be a coiincidence.

and I pray a Happy thanksgiving for you and yours Jerry, we have much to be thankful for my brother!

#4: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:36 pm
    ----
should get spullchuck Jerry in dese fourarms...
pfat phingers u kown OLO...

#5: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:50 pm
    ----
LOL Slow!!

Spullchuck is bilt n the kneww firefox 2.0...

#6: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:00 pm
    ----
IE yewzas down't need spullchuck, wee kan spull orlreddy.

Razz

#7: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:35 pm
    ----
otay... using 1.5.1.8, must be I missed all of em up to 2?
LOL I am Sloooow....

#8: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:14 pm
    ----
Look on the bottom of this Web page Slow, the link to 2.0 is on there AND...it'll upgrade too!!

#9: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:46 pm
    ----
Just an idea in respect of running multiple operating systems

transportable racks are cages and their inserts for hard-drives that fit in to your case's 5.25 inch slots and the particularly handy thing about them is that most have a key that allows you disable the hard-drive in the rack so e.g. you could have one rack with XP home, one with Linux and one with Vista and switching between the racks is as easy as turning the key[s]. Furthermore the number of 5.25 inch slots in your case does not determine the number of racks [ actually inserts ] you can have, as they [ the inserts ] easily slide in and out and you can swap a rack [ or more specifically the insert ] that was in the computer for say one sitting on your bookshelf in a short time NB you do not need to start connecting the SATA cable to the drives/motherboard when you swap racks [ ie inserts ] as when you install the discdrive in the insert the insert is able to make a clean connection with the rack which holds it which does not need to be manually plugged /unplugged for insertion/removal of the insert in to the rack / from the rack.

www.icydock.com/sata.html

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#10: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:47 pm
    ----
I used to use that system Adrian and while it works great for the most part, the trays seems to wear out after a while or the cooling fans quit working and we all know how hot a HD runs in an enclosure, so I went back to the old method of 'hanging the 'portable' HD' off the cable...lol

I can't help but think USB enclosures are really the answer to most 'portable' HD issues... Wink

#11: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:41 pm
    ----
Thanx for the comments on the downsides to the racks, I would not be pulling them out very often since I have a stacker case which has plenty of slots, but the fan fail issue is certainly something to keep in mind!

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

#12: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 pm
    ----
Bushie,

Are you saying that I could get a hard drive, put it in a USB enclosure and install this XP pro 64 on that hard drive and essentially have 2 OS on 2 HD's? How would you pick which one to boot off of?

Remember, i AM slow....

#13: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:31 am
    ----
Slow, you could do that, but it would be better to use your USB drive for storing files, ghost images of your HD or backup files.

The best way would be to partition your HD and install the 2 OS'. Smile

#14: Re: installing both Xp Pro and XP 64 Pro... Author: Adrian_Wainer PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:09 pm
    ----
Slow it is possible to have a number of operating systems on a single internal hard-disc drive the only requirement is that only one operating system can reside in any one partition, if you allready have an operating system installed e.g. XP home and you want to install another operating system e.g. XP Professional x64. You have to create a new partition for the x64 and set the operating system to boot from the optical drive ie DVD / CD Rom drive and then install the x64 to the new partition. NB apparently Microsoft will not allow you to install Linux distros in this fashion but I presume it works for all MS operating systems. Have successfully installed a second MS operating system, when you system boots up in future, it will give you the choice of which operating system you want to use.

Best and Warm Regards
Adrian Wainer

-> Software