Name this tank please:
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Name this tank please: Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:37 pm
    ----
The blurry (intentionally?) overturned one blocking a bridge in Iraq. My first thought was Centurion then I backed-off that I.D.

#2: Re: Name this tank please: Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:44 pm
    ----
Okay, I name it "Turtle" Smile But seriously, looking at the road wheels I am now thinking it may be something foreign. First thought M-88 by looking at the kit strapped to it, but the drive and idler wheel say no. Also saw a towbar attached to end on the right side.

#3: Re: Name this tank please: Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:16 pm
    ----
The suspension/wheels look superficially 'Murican but the idler/sprocket/track and even the road wheels look "foreign" to me too. I don't believe it could be an M88.
The sprocket and idler look almost M551-like, but it clearly isn't a Sheridan (apart from have too many roadwheels and track support rollers).

No idea what it might be, only what it isn't.

#4: Re: Name this tank please: Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:53 pm
    ----
I am pretty darn sure that the upside down AFV is a FV4204 Chieftain ARRV.

Some of the larger side hull bins are missing but the rest of the hull fits the recognition features.

Iraq captured a number of Chieftains from Kuwait back in 1990.

#5: Re: Name this tank please: Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:18 pm
    ----
- Jason_Bobrowich
I am pretty darn sure that the upside down AFV is a FV4204 Chieftain ARRV.

Some of the larger side hull bins are missing but the rest of the hull fits the recognition features.

Iraq captured a number of Chieftains from Kuwait back in 1990.

I believe you are correct.

Its definitely not US M88. Roadwheels, Sprocket, & Idler are wrong.

Hull demenisions not M88 either. Besides the fact no skirts.

There appears to be a towbar connected also....

Interesting....

Don

#6: Re: Name this tank please: Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:13 pm
    ----
Yes yes yes! I was wracking my brain trying to I.D. that thing. Good job.

#7: Re: Name this tank please: Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:45 pm
    ----
I had to turn the picture to get it right, once that was done it was fairly easy to ID.

Chieftain ChAVRE

Rik

#8: Re: Name this tank please: Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 pm
    ----
Rik,

It's not a Chieftain ChAVRE. The hull is too high on the over turned tank. If you look at the photo you can also see the small boom crane angling away from the rear of the hull...Chieftain ARRV.

Here's some images of the Chieftain ARRV to compare with the photo.

www.geocities.com/Pent...4arrv.html

#9: Re: Name this tank please: Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:07 am
    ----
- Jason_Bobrowich
Rik,

It's not a Chieftain ChAVRE. The hull is too high on the over turned tank. If you look at the photo you can also see the small boom crane angling away from the rear of the hull...Chieftain ARRV.

Here's some images of the Chieftain ARRV to compare with the photo.

www.geocities.com/Pent...4arrv.html

Yes, I know. I just used that picture to identify the running gear as it was nicely exposed, from that I needed not to progress as the correct ID was already posted Smile I wanted to illustrate how difficult it was to ID before flipping the picture, the wrong perspective can play nasty tricks on your brain sometimes. Sorry if I was unclear.

Rik

#10: Re: Name this tank please: Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:03 am
    ----
Gotcha, thanks.

#11: Re: Name this tank please: Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:01 am
    ----
The background vehicle has me stumped. But the vehicle in the forground is an M2 Bradley IFV. It belongs to 1st CAV, 6th Squadron-9th Regiment, A-Troop. 6-9 CAV is part of 3rd Brigade "Greywolf's", and was stood up with 3rd Brigade on 14 July 2005. Their mission statement is as follows;
"On order, 3rd “Greywolf� Brigade deploys to a contingency area of operations, prepares for and on order executes full spectrum operations in order to achieve US national objectives. On order redeploys and prepares for future operation."
I miss posting on here. I've got to get back to it again. Between work and my recent double Hernia operation, (1 week ago) I haven't been able to get on here much. Happy holidays to all.

#12: Re: Name this tank please: Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:13 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
The background vehicle has me stumped. But the vehicle in the forground is an M2 Bradley IFV. It belongs to 1st CAV, 6th Squadron-9th Regiment, A-Troop. 6-9 CAV is part of 3rd Brigade "Greywolf's", and was stood up with 3rd Brigade on 14 July 2005. Their mission statement is as follows;
"On order, 3rd “Greywolf� Brigade deploys to a contingency area of operations, prepares for and on order executes full spectrum operations in order to achieve US national objectives. On order redeploys and prepares for future operation."
I miss posting on here. I've got to get back to it again. Between work and my recent double Hernia operation, (1 week ago) I haven't been able to get on here much. Happy holidays to all.

Hooah....C Co 3/8 CAV, 3rd Bde 'Greywolf'- 1992-1994.....'Red 3' (Plow) !!

Making a ' HIGHWAY TO HELL' on demand... Cool

Don

#13: Re: Name this tank please: Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:16 am
    ----
I thought you were a past member of that unit from a past conversation on here when I was researching a Sherman in front of their HQ's, but I wasn't sure. I've seen lots of my "past" units vehicles servining over there. Mortar tracks don't get the cameras attention like Brads and Abrams though.

#14: Re: Name this tank please: Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:34 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I thought you were a past member of that unit from a past conversation on here when I was researching a Sherman in front of their HQ's, but I wasn't sure. I've seen lots of my "past" units vehicles servining over there. Mortar tracks don't get the cameras attention like Brads and Abrams though.

"My BABY!!' C13 during the opening stages of M1A2 IOTE in Sept 93. (Not too hard to firgure the location... Cool

Opfor manuevering....C13 throws track. (exploded 3 roadwheels, adjusting link bent, Comp arm warped, and 8 track blocks damaged!!)
Just another Greywolf Day....Living the Legend!! Rolling Eyes

Don

#15: Re: Name this tank please: Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:55 am
    ----
You were clear on the west boundry of post, Copperas Cove should be in the background. I saw you "dirty OPFOR" more than once while with 4TH ID, but I'll assume the were 4th ID tanks, (1998-2001). Thats how the National Guard units from Nevada make their tanks appear as well when they play OPFOR at the NTC, but some M1's have 55gal drums on their rear decks as well to better simulate Warsaw Pact tanks.
I'll have to dig up the few pictures I have of mortar tracks of mine firing.

-> AFV News Discussion Board