Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:10 am
    ----
This one came up at my usual forum..........we-re still trying to work out how it works! The turret is unmanned and as far as we can make out the barrels return to the horizontal for reloading(?)

Its only a prototype system but is supposedly going to be adopted, or fully developed at least................ Shocked

More, clearer images here..............

img142.imageshack.us/i...522bc9.jpg

img167.imageshack.us/m...b4bgf3.jpg

Strange looking wee beasty fer sure! Cool

Regards,

BUG

#2: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:52 am
    ----
Coalitia-SV

Cool

#3: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:57 pm
    ----
Wow.

What else can you say about it? Its either sheer genius or the worst kind of hare-brained scheme, and I don't know which.

There is that Rheinmetall(?) twin-barrelled 120mm mortar turret that's being shopped around. Maybe the Russians liked the concept so much that they took it to the next level!

Last edited by mike_Duplessis on Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: Esa_MuikkuLocation: Tampere, Finland PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm
    ----
Remember Patria's twin-barrelled mortar turret called AMOS?

Check this out for AMOS photos: www.patria.fi/modules/...t=2005_eng

#5: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: Andrei PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:51 am
    ----
Armament 2X152 mm guns of improved stell alloy, making them lighter and compact, loading is fully automated at any angle.
The rate of fire is twice of that of the modern SPA (more than 16 rounds min.)
More than 70 rounds onboard.
The auotolaoader consists of movable convayers in the bastle and the "transporter" which collects the round and charge from it and moves it on rails and loads to the guns at the positions on which they are in the moment.

#6: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: Andrei PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:54 am
    ----
It is a programm from FGUP “Burevestnik� as well as FGUP “Uralvagonzavod�, "Uraltransmash", FGUP “TzNIIM�...
it is intended for future unification of ship and groud artillery in some aspects, but of course the ship variant will have different autoloder.

#7: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:11 am
    ----
Armament 2X152 mm guns of improved stell alloy

Ahhh forgive me, I'd read elsewhere that it is 155mm, but 152mm makes absolute sense............

The auotolaoader consists of movable convayers in the bastle and the "transporter" which collects the round and charge from it and moves it on rails and loads to the guns at the positions on which they are in the moment.

I think I understand what it is you are trying to say here but the poor quality sketch illuminates very little detail. Not a problem of your making Andrei BUT I remain puzzled as even though the turret is unmanned its pretty tightly occupied with equipment and ammo. I probably need to see it close up to understand, either that or see a 3D system schematic! In either case I don't think its high on the Russian army's ladder of things to do! Mr. Green

A very interesting design and if it works as thought, a possible very large step forward for Russian SPG Design.............

Regards,

BUG

#8: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: Andrei PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:58 pm
    ----
---Ahhh forgive me, I'd read elsewhere that it is 155mm, but 152mm makes absolute sense............

It can be in 152 and 155 (export) versions.

---Andrei BUT I remain puzzled as even though the turret is unmanned its pretty tightly occupied with equipment and ammo. I probably need to see it close up to understand, either that or see a 3D system schematic!

I will make an info page on it soon, after New Year maybe...

#9: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:38 pm
    ----
That would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

BUG

#10: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:26 pm
    ----
- buglerbilly

I think I understand what it is you are trying to say here but the poor quality sketch illuminates very little detail. Not a problem of your making Andrei BUT I remain puzzled as even though the turret is unmanned its pretty tightly occupied with equipment and ammo. I probably need to see it close up to understand, either that or see a 3D system schematic!
BUG

Its not an unmanned turret Bug - it has two crew members in it! Look here at this image and you can quite clearly see the two crew hatches on the roof.

img142.imageshack.us/i...522bc9.jpg

The naval and coast defence versions are unmanned which is probably where the confusion arises.

Cool

#11: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:55 am
    ----
Hi Jim, and a Happy New Year to you! AND a Happy New Year to everyone else here............. Mr. Green

I'm sorry but the link comes up with a message from Image Shack saying the image doesn't exist?

Andrei will be able to comment more accurately, but perhaps the unmanned should read fully automated turret. Whilst there may be one or two people sitting in there, they are not doing traditional tasks of loading etc?

Undoubtedly we'll learn more over time............

Regards,

BUG

#12: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: Andrei PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:54 am
    ----
[quote="JimWeb"]
- buglerbilly

Its not an unmanned turret Bug - it has two crew members in it! Look here at this image and you can quite clearly see the two crew hatches on the roof.

The naval and coast defence versions are unmanned which is probably where the confusion arises.
Cool

The confusion is that the version on photo is a test rig for a gun system, but not a final vechicle at all.
The look of this SPA as it should be can be seen on the drawings only, for now Wink

#13: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: Andrei PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:01 am
    ----
----Andrei will be able to comment more accurately, but perhaps the unmanned should read fully automated turret. Whilst there may be one or two people sitting in there, they are not doing traditional tasks of loading etc?

Nobody will be sitting in the turret, the crew of two will be in hull.

#14: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:37 am
    ----
Andrei,

As ever greatly appreciate your time in clearing this up. I look forward to any other info you can provide in the New Year.............

Regards,

BUG

#15: Re: Russian oddity - twin barrelled 155mm SPG! Author: Andrei PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:18 pm
    ----
An article about a future Russian SPA “Koalition-SV�.
(In Russian) For those who don’t read Russian the drawings may be interesting.

btvt.narod.ru/3/koalit...ion_sv.htm

-> AFV News Discussion Board