WhereAm I?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: WhereAm I? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:35 pm
    ----

#2: Re: WhereAm I? Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:16 pm
    ----
hey man, how have you been, where have you been etc.? havent' heard from you in many a month. you doing okay? i thought maybe the wind started blowing again and you had made another move...
shawn

#3: Re: WhereAm I? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:25 pm
    ----
The only M706s on display that know of are at Fort McCoy, Fort Snelling, the Russell Military Museum (formerly Kenosha), and Waynesboro PA. Its one of those, or is not on my list...

But it doesnt much look like Fort McCoy (from the pictures I have seen), Fort Snelling or Waynesboro. That leaves Russell, but frankly the background and set up seems to be too nice - considering the collection just sat out in the open in Kenosha... So I suspect its somewhere else...

There's a Commando with a 76mm gun in Canada...

Neil

#4: Re: WhereAm I? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:25 pm
    ----
Hi TW! Hi Folks!

Possible at an Interstate rest stop, someplace along the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.

My guess based on a trip I made through so of that area last year.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: WhereAm I? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:43 am
    ----
So what exactly are we looking at? The MP HQ here at Ft Hood as something like that out front but it's painted a high gloss OD. One of their other buildings has an armored M151 out front. They were going to be the next vehicles I was going to post on here but I just have been way to busy. I have a 4-day weekend coming up next weekend and maybe I can get there and photograph them then.

#6: Re: WhereAm I? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:46 am
    ----
One view of 76mm Commando. I'll keep looking.

img127.imageshack.us/i...0169rb.jpg

#7: Re: WhereAm I? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:47 am
    ----
And another one

img103.imageshack.us/i...0153tg.jpg

#8: Re: WhereAm I? Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:13 am
    ----
How you been, Tumbleweed? Smile

#9: Re: WhereAm I? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:10 pm
    ----
Hi guys! I'm still alive and kicking. My computer died a few months ago and I waited til Christmas to get another. Shawn is right. I made another move. I'm not called 'Tumbleweed' for nuthin'! I start work Monday at Sierra Army Depot, California. It's 60 miles North of Reno, Nevada. A lot of the equipment (tanks, APC's, trucks, construction equipment,) from Iraq is going to start coming here and I'll be involved with that. Have also read that the Army plans to take 7500 M1 series tanks out of service and they will be placed in long term storage here. Just inside the gate is an M1A1 with 4th ID bumper markings but they won't allow cameras. Will have to find the story behind it. Anyway, photo was taken just outside the main gate. Here's another photo:

#10: Re: WhereAm I? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:30 pm
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
One view of 76mm Commando. I'll keep looking.

img127.imageshack.us/i...0169rb.jpg

Isn't that a MECAR 90mm fitted to that turret?

Cool

#11: Re: WhereAm I? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:56 pm
    ----
I thought a MECAR 90 had a much longer barrel...

BTW, Jim, you dont seem to have all the M706/V-100/V-150 variants listed on your site?

Neil

#12: Re: WhereAm I? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:32 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
BTW, Jim, you dont seem to have all the M706/V-100/V-150 variants listed on your site?

They are there just haven't got round to linking them all in yet.

So many vehicles - so little time....

Cool

#13: Re: WhereAm I? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:35 pm
    ----
The story I remember about those Commando a/c's was this was one of the candidates for the AVGP program. The winner, the Cougar was acquired in the late 1970's early 1980's. I was told the Swiss MOWAG, the US Commando and the Brazillean ENGESA were in the running. Maybe others, but memory fails.

The story that comes back was the ENGESA was barebones and rugged, but actually a little too crude for Canadian tastes. The others were probably a tie, but for whatever reason the MOWAG won. The survival of the trials vehicle is a testiment to someone's fond memories (or a loose contract).

-> AFV News Discussion Board