M1A1 Power Cable
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M1A1 Power Cable Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:56 pm
    ----
I noticed a couple of M1A1 tanks with a power cable coming out of the driver's hatch from where the right periscope normally is. They were long enough to go maybe three feet past the headlight. Anybody know what they are for? Thanks!

#2: Re: M1A1 Power Cable Author: Burik PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:00 pm
    ----
I believe this is for the mineplow.

Bob

#3: Re: M1A1 Power Cable Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:10 am
    ----
Bob's right, the original mine plow power cable snaked through the right periscope opening. It eventually was upgraded with a plug that fit in place of the periscope so the cable would plug into the fitting and not have a gap there. The M1A2SEP has an external power recepticle that negates the need to sacrifice a periscope.

Don't let folks tell you the mine plow is hydraulic.

#4: Re: M1A1 Power Cable Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:25 pm
    ----
Thanks Rob. That clears it up. I was thinking they were hydraulic. The other thing that threw me was that older tanks (I think) had additional hardware welded to the hull for the plow.

#5: Re: M1A1 Power Cable Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:44 pm
    ----
If you look at the front of the mine plow, towards the top there is a large cylindrical object on each side. This is a simple electric motor. The power makes these motors rotate and it raises or lowers a webbing strap (similar to a seat belt). That strap on each motor is what raises or lowers each mine plow side.

The straps are susceptible to dry rot out in the motor pool and are always snapping.

#6: Re: M1A1 Power Cable Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:34 pm
    ----
Thanks again, Rob. Now I can go to work tomorrow and impress everyone with my knowledge! Mr. Green

#7: Re: M1A1 Power Cable Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:22 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Thanks again, Rob. Now I can go to work tomorrow and impress everyone with my knowledge! Mr. Green
Tell em that you need to ba able to take pictures to refesh your memory and improve your knowledge base Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board