AFVs in France
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: AFVs in France Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:14 pm
    ----
Pierre-Olivier,
No picture in your post...

Neil

#17: Re: AFVs in France Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:20 pm
    ----
Pierre,
It looks like an AMX-VC1 but I'm sure Jim will gve a better description. About the Sherman you mention that is in Phalsbourg, by any chance is it a knocked out tank with a very visible hole in the turret (I think)? I remember as a kid we (my family) visited that area and stopped to look at a tank on the Highway. One of my very first experiences around a tank.

Joe D

#18: Re: AFVs in France Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:20 pm
    ----
Neil,

I can see the picture.. here is the link :

http://www.tanxheaven.com/sd/France2006/Mourmelon-le-Grand-CampFrance-001.jpg

Some pics of a Sherman tank "Montmirail" at Mourmelon too, which model is it : M4A2 or M4A3?

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1144432037037572303RKpjlx

http://news.webshots.com/photo/1144432001037572303ZQKDNV

(damned website)

Last edited by the_shadock on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

#19: Re: AFVs in France Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:23 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Pierre,
It looks like an AMX-VC1 but I'm sure Jim will gve a better description. About the Sherman you mention that is in Phalsbourg, by any chance is it a knocked out tank with a very visible hole in the turret (I think)? I remember as a kid we (my family) visited that area and stopped to look at a tank on the Highway. One of my very first experiences around a tank.

Joe D

Yes it has several holes, one is very big at the rear of the turret.. It is located next to a traffic circle, near a tollgate. Nice Sherman tank, I like to see it when I take this road, I always slow down when I go next to it.

I will take some photos in few weeks and send them here.

P-O

#20: Re: AFVs in France Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:20 pm
    ----
Thank you Pierre,
I will e-mail them to my father when you do if you don't mind. He was stationed at a US Air Base near Phalsbourg (62-63). When he was stationed in Germany (68-73) we used to visit my parents friends there. I'm sure he'll enjoy the pictures.

Joe D

#21: Re: AFVs in France Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:28 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Here is a photo taken by Stephen Drew in Mourmelon-le-Grand in 2006. Could someone tell me which vehicle it is? (I'm supposed to know it better than you.. Neutral French modern material doesn't interest me much)

AMX VCI

Cool

#22: Re: AFVs in France Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:43 pm
    ----
On the theme of AFVs in France....

Does anyone know of an M8 in or around the Point-Du-Hoc monument area?? Perhaps between the parking area and some trails up to the cliffs?? (as memory best serves me?)

'Many Moons ago' (1977-ish) My family was 'touring' up the Normandy coast heading to Cherbourg. We spent time at the Point Du Hoc site. I spent time climbing on the M8 whose hatch (or turret top) was slightly open. I wanted to 'secure' the turret data plate, ( a favorite hobby of mine, at the time..) but it was not within my reach....

Anyone remember this vehicle?? (if its still there...)

I might still have some photos of that trip...guess I need to do some serious digging into the attic....

Don

#23: Re: AFVs in France Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 am
    ----
Don I was there a year ago, I didn't see it but it doesn't mean it wasn't there. I wasn't looking for it so I could have missed it

#24: Re: AFVs in France Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:57 am
    ----
I aslo didn't see this M8 the few times I was there.. I think I would have noticed it if it was obviously exposed..

Pierre-Olivier

#25: Re: AFVs in France Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:02 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Thank you Pierre,
I will e-mail them to my father when you do if you don't mind. He was stationed at a US Air Base near Phalsbourg (62-63). When he was stationed in Germany (68-73) we used to visit my parents friends there. I'm sure he'll enjoy the pictures.

Joe D

Joe, no problem. I also have (paper) photos of an air meeting which was on the airbase (it's now an helicopter army base), there were mainly acrobatics or modern jet planes. I will check up what I have and send them to you if you are interested. When I was there in 2002, one of the acrobatic planes crashed but the pilot did only have few wounds..

Pierre-Olivier

#26: Re: AFVs in France Author: pascalbaussetLocation: France PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:31 am
    ----
Hi to all,

The pics from Montmirail M4 are mine, there are in my webshots page (see link in my signature)

I add a new files with some pics from the Bourg la Reine M4 (this one in Phalsbourg).

M4 Bourg La Reine

Cheers
pascal

Last edited by pascalbausset on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total

#27: Re: AFVs in France Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:56 am
    ----
- the_shadock
I aslo didn't see this M8 the few times I was there.. I think I would have noticed it if it was obviously exposed..

Pierre-Olivier

PO

Thanks, I'll really start digging. I'm sure it was Point Du Hoc.

We spent 3 days going from Paris to Cherbourg. As I recall we spent the night in Deauville & a night in Valognes (or somewhere around there).

At 17 years old, it made quite an impression on me, as we spent the good portion of 3 days at many of the D-Day sites as well as walking on the beaches. With the tide out, I got to jump around on some concrete remains (around Arromanches, I believe) that had been some of the artificial harbor.

I had taken a bunch of photos on that trip, I just need to locate them.

Don

#28: Re: AFVs in France Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:22 am
    ----
Thanks Jim for the identification of the AMX.
Thanks Pascal for your identification of the Montmirail. When the first edition of the list will be finished, I will send it to you for pssible addings.

Don, there is an M8 Greyhound on Utah Beach, Leclerc monument near St-Martin-de-Varreville, with a Half Track and they recently added a Sherman there.
If you find a photo of the M8 at the Pointe du Hoc, I would be interested to see it.

P-O

#29: Re: AFVs in France Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:18 pm
    ----
I've asked to a friend who was in Normandy as often as me.. he also doesn"t remember of any vehicle at the Pointe du Hoc.

Pierre-Olivier

#30: Re: AFVs in France Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:36 pm
    ----
Here are some tanks I saw in Normandy, these are scans from prints so someone probably has better copies. Right click and save for locations, anyone know the location of the Sexton?

-> AFV News Discussion Board