Churchill tanks register
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Churchill tanks register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:50 pm
    ----
Looking for some tanks in France, I've found this website, which lists the surviving Churchill tanks :

http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.shillito/a22new/register/thelot.htm

Main page :

http://www.armourinfocus.co.uk/

Hope you'll enjoy

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:28 pm
    ----
The Churchill IMO is one of those tanks that calls for a Hunnicutt-style reference work - okay, maybe not Sherman-scale, but Pershing-scale would do; or at least something on par with Griffin's Chieftain...

Which brings me to my next question, can one find the WD number on a Churchill stamped anwhere on it?

Neil

#3: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:27 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:07 am
    ----
I guess I had missed that one - thanks!

Neil

#5: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: GerryChester PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:12 am
    ----

Which brings me to my next question, can one find the WD number on a Churchill stamped anwhere on it?

Hi Neil,

During the autumn of 1942 the RAC laid down standard positions for the placement of insignia and WD numbers on AFVs. For Churchills see my article at: www.northirishhorse.or...ignia.html

If you want to have photographic proof, I will post photos of tanks of the North Irish Horse in which I served.

Best wishes, Gerry

#6: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:35 am
    ----
Managed to view both examples of the Churchill AVRE in South Africa.

AFAIK there's a Churchill ARK and Bridgelayer also to be found. Still have to see these two - if time permits.

#7: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:50 pm
    ----
From that site it appears that the "standard location" was "forward of the louvres," although I am not sure what that means?... Was it actually stamped on the hull, or merely on a plate afixed to the hull?

Neil

#8: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: GerryChester PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:49 pm
    ----
From that site it appears that the "standard location" was "forward of the louvres," although I am not sure what that means?... Was it actually stamped on the hull, or merely on a plate afixed to the hull?

Hi Neil,

Here is the clearest photo I have. It is a starboard view of "Cork" which was used by the Germans for propaganda purposes while she was in their possession for a few days.
www.northirishhorse.or...da/G-2.jpg

The T numbers, wherever located, were stencilled on.

Gerry

PS The use of "forward" and other nautical terms originated with the Tank Corps in WW I.

#9: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:00 pm
    ----
Churchill ARK - Bovington Tank Museum (UK)
hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/sho...tion/page7

#10: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: clausb PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:36 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
The Churchill IMO is one of those tanks that calls for a Hunnicutt-style reference work - okay, maybe not Sherman-scale, but Pershing-scale would do; or at least something on par with Griffin's Chieftain...Neil

Wouldn't David Fletchers tome on the Churchill do?

#11: Re: Churchill tanks register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:56 am
    ----
[img]http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=33983&d=1283797570&thumb=1[/img]

probably the same tank.. the one on the 2nd photo has been restored to a Mark IV gun tank :
http://churchilltank.com/churchill-mark-iv/

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board