How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:51 pm
    ----
I know all model builders buy kits for when they retire and have lots of time to build them. How many model kits do you all have in your unbuilt kit stash. I only have 51 and i'm sure i will get to them this year......sure I will..............

#2: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stas Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:06 pm
    ----
About 8 armor kits (the new Academy M551 and M113 ACAV kits, 2 of each) and an M60A2 and M60A1 kit unbuilt..plus one M41 Walker Bulldog.

...and some (4-5) classic IMC Ford GT kits from the '60's-'70's that I never built..the whole series including the "J" car.

#3: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:18 pm
    ----
Hi AJ2, Doug,
Years ago I was on a buying spree of the ROCO Minitanks (They sorta are models), Have almost the whole series up to Z350 (I think) still in the blister packs packed away somewhere. That along with a few Airfix kits. Haven't even took them out of storage since the early 90's. Once I entered the Army and played with the real thing I sorta stopped building models. I just don't have the skills to build them as real as I like. I do take 1/32 car kits and convert them to slot cars once in a while.
Neil, I too had the Anemie bug for a while when I was in Okinawa. Had the whole series of Space Cruiser Yamato fleet. Hey, at least one was a former Battleship.

Joe D

#4: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:42 pm
    ----
I had quite a stash despite giving up modelling a few years back - my problem was distributors kept sending them in the hope, I suppose, that I would feature them on the web iste. Thankfully this supply dropped off when the site went subscription only. I have been giving them away in box fulls ever since. They are almost all gone now thank goodness - more room for books...

Cool

#5: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:36 pm
    ----
Hundreds.

#6: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:45 pm
    ----
- Sabot
Hundreds.

Shocked So....you confess to being a "Trekkie" or what? Laughing

You funnin' us?

I'm guessin' this is from that dead guy's auction...?

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:48 pm
    ----
Yeah, I gotta admit I'm impressed - those are all unbuilt??? I'll have to show these pictures the next time one of my friends gives me a hard time for one of my dozen or so unbuilt models Wink

Neil

#8: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stas Author: GaryKato PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:04 pm
    ----
432 and growing. It was shrinking (selling them off at the local modeler's club). I sold a lot of my armor kits first since the boxes were big (selling partly for money and partly to have more space). Recently, I realized that I was way more likely to build an armor kit than any other so I started buying those again.

#9: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:11 pm
    ----
sabot
I think you might win the contest, how about a nice Armor kit for the prize.

#10: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stas Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:36 pm
    ----
I'm beginning to think his retirement plan consists of opening a retail hobby store!

Forum members should, of course, get a discount, don'cha' think?

#11: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:56 pm
    ----
The discount is a very good idea, maybe freebies for forum members...

#12: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stas Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 pm
    ----
I hope a stash like that is behind a huge padlock! Wink What I'd like to know is what's the armor model marked R/C on the top that is opened some?

Jeff

#13: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:30 pm
    ----
It's some pseudo-Patton tank made by a Japanese company. A friend brought it back from there for me. Ugly looking toy.

Yes, I have a good number of Trek models. Growing up in the late 60s-early 70s, Capt. Kirk was on TV all the time.

This stash is the final cumulation of several of my stashes that I left behind as I moved to college, then to Germany and then to various duty stations. My last assignment was at Ft. Devens and only 100 miles from my parents' home. They were retiring and moving to Florida so I went up there with the empty minivan, loaded up all my old junk and brought it all together for the first time in 20 years.

Every time I moved most of the kits got boxed up and stuck in the shed, garage or storage room and I would just start buying new kits to work on. Do this too many times and you end up with a giant stash.

My current quarters are the first one I had a full basement so I took one of the storage rooms to unbox all the kits. I tried to organize them and figure out just what I had. I've already donated a box of kits to my club for a raffle, gave some neighborhood youngsters a few kits, traded and sold some away. EBay is the next step.

The vast majority of it is unbuilt although I have several boxes loaded with built kits just tossed in.

#14: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stash? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:54 am
    ----
I've been looking for a sweet M106A2 or M1064A2-3 Mortar track model for quite some time. I haven't really looked hard but when in a model section or store I always look for them or anything Mortar related. Darn near impossible to find since they aren't a tank, jeep, or Hummer. I've always wanted a nice diorama of one but I guess it's just a pipe dream for now. Like others have said, maybe I'll get ti it in retirement. I don't really have the patience and/or skill though and would probably just pay someone to build the diorama/model for me. I always thought it would make a cool center piece on a desk or in my army "collection" room.

#15: Re: How many model kits do you have in your unbuilt kit stas Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:56 am
    ----
Jeff and others, Do you all know about www.squadron.com/ the model shop in Arlington TX. They have most everything in their online catalog and the hardcopy catalog is really good and worth the money. If you buy something they tend to keep sending the catalog forever.......

-> AFV News Discussion Board