Woah! One fierce looking Loyd Carrier.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Woah! One fierce looking Loyd Carrier. Author: BenjaminLiottel PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:37 am
    ----
I was just perusing the Google image results for "loyd carrier", and I stumbled upon this. Some sort of SPG variant from Belgium?

tanxheaven.com/fedcol/...mmcati.htm
Very cool looking. Makes it look like a puny tank destroyer or some such.

I'm aware of a few other SPG Loyds, such as the ones pictured on this site:
ww2photo.mimerswell.co...r/carr.htm

However, this vehicle seems different than the ones shown there. This vehicle is labelled to be from the early 50's? Is that true? I'd be interested in learning more about this.

Oh, and the pics come from this website which has a huge catalog of reference pictures of surviving armor vehicles, very fun to peruse:
tanxheaven.com/referen...ctures.htm

---Liottel.

#2: Re: Woah! One fierce looking Loyd Carrier. Author: T13b1(be)Location: belgium PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:24 pm
    ----
This is a anti tank gun 90 mm ( Mecar is the fabricant of the gun) on a loyd carrier 4.8 ton weigth with 4 men crew used in the mid 1950's

photo from afvbe site
www.afvbe.com/index.ph...y=12&hit=1

one from the inside
tanxheaven.com/fedcol/...cati/4.JPG

#3: Re: Woah! One fierce looking Loyd Carrier. Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:40 pm
    ----
Here is another photo that I found....

Don

#4: Re: Woah! One fierce looking Loyd Carrier. Author: BenjaminLiottel PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:46 am
    ----
So this thing really was a mini tank-destroyer!

That must make this one of the smallest tank-destroyers ever. The only other one I can think of is that puny Czech built 2 man tank-destroyer tankette used by Yugoslavia and Romania, and that only had a 47mm gun!

Pretty neat. Although I'm surprised that the Belgians were using something so makeshift well into the cold war!

---Vil.

#5: Re: Woah! One fierce looking Loyd Carrier. Author: T13b1(be)Location: belgium PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:33 pm
    ----
- BenjaminLiottel

That must make this one of the smallest tank-destroyers ever. The only other one I can think of is that puny Czech built 2 man tank-destroyer tankette used by Yugoslavia and Romania, and that only had a 47mm gun!

---Vil.

Talking about a little tank-destroyer with a 47 mm then I certainly have to mention the T 13 that the belgium army used in 1940 .
Build on a vickers carden loyd chassis armed with a very effective 47mm ,build by cockerill, could penetrated up to 40 mm of armour and even a panzer IV wasn't a problem.
The vichule had a turret that could turn 180° for the first version and later on this was changed to a full 360°

klm.web.shphosting.com...601030.jpg
one on display in the royal museum army museum of Belgium

and some more photo's are here
forum.axishistory.com/...ebda797a25

#6: Re: Woah! One fierce looking Loyd Carrier. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:51 pm
    ----
- BenjaminLiottel

---Vil.

Well there is always the Vespa scooter with integral Recoilless Rifle that pops up here occasionally. If I remember correctly it was used by teh French Paratroopers

-> AFV News Discussion Board