New MLRS display at Ft Hood...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:49 pm
    ----
On my way to the 4th ID Bradley on display, I passed this dedication formation around an MLRS. These two pictures were taken as I drove by going each way. I plan to go back this week and get a great many more detailed pictures. This vehicle sits on 37th and Battalion Ave. This small field is where I did PT with 3-66th Armor from 1998-2001 everyday. The tree to the right of the MLRS was the smoking area. The old M4 named "Barfly" sat on an adjacent concrete pad about 50 meters away.

#2: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:09 pm
    ----
First MLRS on static display anywhere in the US?

There may be some at Fort Sill, but I have relatively little info on what is on display there...

Neil

#3: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:27 am
    ----
Well Neil, soon I will post plenty of pictures and what available markings I can find on this vehicle. The best part will be getting the pictures while its still in good shape, before it starts to deteriorate, fade, and recieve touch ups with a paint brush that will virtually hide any and all stamping and/or markings. Maybe I can arrange to get interior shots as well.

#4: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:21 am
    ----
OK, gents, here are pictures taken today of the three day old, (on display that is) MLRS. This thing looks awsome, and not just because of the fresh paint. All the rubber looks new and there are hardly any scratches, gouges, scrapes, etc, in to hull or anywhere else to include the bottom. I don't know if it's a runner, but the area around the concrete pad was NOT torn up as you usually see when a display vehicle is "positioned" onto a pad. The serial number,(right side of hull) appears to be 4AA00112, and there is a stamping of "NG 9" on the left side of the front edge of the hull. I'll have to do further research to figure out what these mean, if anything. I also plan to try and contact the Battalion Commander, and see if he can tell me any history on this particular MLRS. Whether, it was in theater, an National Guard vehicle, (thus the NG9) or whether they will let me in the cab if possible. tay tuned for future updates.

#5: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:08 am
    ----
Sounds similar to a Bradley SN, which makes sense since its the same baseline chassis...

Neil

#6: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:33 am
    ----
Man, that MLRS sure seems larger than a Bradley. Are the components the same, just "stretched" for the MLRS? Does it use the same power plant as the Brad?

#7: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:37 am
    ----
According to Chris C's site:
afvdb.50megs.com/usa/mlrs.html

"The M993 carrier for the MLRS is based on components of the M2 and M3 Bradley fighting vehicles. The ground contact length was extended, and the road wheels were grouped in three pairs. An extra return roller was added as well."

Neil

#8: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:01 am
    ----
I see you use the same sight I have for research! Only I have mainly used it for WWII vehicles, not really the modern stuff. With 857 built and put into the inventory in 1982, (1 year after I graduated H.S.) they've been around 25 years. I'm guessing that since they are not really used all that much, contributes to their longevity and hence, lack of display vehicles available. That 60 mi range is awesome. From what I understand, if they fire all 12 rounds at the same time, they can completely cover a square kilometer with munitions. I've heard that Ft Hood can only fire them from one of two locations where they can effectively fire within their range, (almost minimum).

#9: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:01 am
    ----
Have we determined if there are any other MLRS on display anywhere else?

#10: Re: New MLRS display at Ft Hood... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:29 pm
    ----
Jeff,
Where exactly was the SN you found on this MLRS? I found another MLRS on display at the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville AL - along with a Chaparral launcher.

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board