Vista?
-> Software

#1: Vista? Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:04 pm
    ----
So is anybody here running Vista? If so hows the FS's working?

I know about the peripheral and certain game shortcomings, just looking for a gamers perspective. Been looking at buying new system and I would prefer not to get Vista at the moment but unfortunately the system (like many now) I'm looking at now comes only with Vista.

#2: Re: Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:58 pm
    ----
I'm at the early stages of planning a new system for songwriting which will be a Vista based machine.
I'm keeping my current rig but there's no way in hell it's going anywhere near Vista at least until after SP2 when I will re-assess the situation.
SP1 was half built before they even released Vista to deal with the bugs they knew about back then.

My new system will be quite focussed so I will be able to track and deal with any OS bugs relatively easily so I'm not so worried and I think it will actually enhance the purpose behind building it.

All the hardware going into it will be Vista capable.

Then I'm gonna cross those itty-bitty lil skwirrell fingers and hope for the best!

Smile

=======
edit: Fr8y I strongly urge you to think about making your own rather than buying. It really isn't hard and you will get a lot more out of it. If you really can't, that's fine but the pre-builders will put a load of crud on there besides Vista and I would consider at least doing a clean install. At which point it would make sense to install XP (as you're a fan) instead of Vista. Make sure you get hard copies of any software you may need to re-install in the future. Otherwise you've paid for something you can't re-use.

#3: Re: Vista? Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:51 pm
    ----
I'll probably just wait til the SP2 for Vista comes out and hopefully by then there will be more support for more hardware.

In the past I have built 2 systems but that was back when the monetary savings were substantial and I didn't mind pounding my head against the wall. Anymore the little savings compared to the possible headaches of researching compatibilty issues and trying to figure out what's the best etc. just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

My last 2 systems (desktop and laptop) have been Dells and I have been completely happy with them. I did wipe out the HD and do a fresh install as soon as my desktop arrived but didn't have to on my laptop because I told them not to put anything on it but the operating system when I ordered it.

#4: Re: Vista? Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:24 am
    ----
i have 2 friends with serious vista problems the one cant connect via her isp modem and tiscali internet saying theres no fix until end of march at the earliest, unless she goes out and buys a new model, the others got various driver issuse and serious instability in certain games, i for one wont be rushing out to go vista until most of the issues are completly irioned out

www.tiscali.co.uk/foru...erid=18669

forums.guru3d.com/show...p?t=213538

forum.notebookreview.c...p?t=101664

#5: Re: Vista? Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:06 am
    ----
Fr8ycat,before buying a puter off the self consider buying one from Newegg.com or another site with a good name as u can order the puter with any spec u want---even OS software! I think you will be much happier in the long run!!!! You might even consider building one...lol like I was talked into by Banshee....lol, but for what I would have spent off the self I got a much better system and glad I went thru the learning experience!! Oh yea by the way it really wasn't all that hard to do!

www.newegg.com/

#6: Re: Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:14 am
    ----
For a low-medium performance system I don't think you'll save much.
If you want a high performance gaming system there's still loads to be saved.
Dell & co use proprietary hardware too which isn't necessarilly as good as stuff you'd buy yourself. They advertise the graphic cards but you never hear what mobo, RAM, psu they're using.
They also install a load of crap in their pre-install software.
before I built this rig, my last one was a Dell.
I had to re-format and re-install everything one day.
When I'd got everything back to how it should be I checked my storage and I was 5Gb shy of what Dell had put on there.
I double-checked it and had everything back that I'd put on, the rest was all their advertising rubbish.
Plus will you get the software discs from them; XP, etc?
Seems most of these twerps only give out their own back-up installation discs now.

#7: Re: Vista? Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:31 am
    ----
Smile I went out shopping specifically for a new computer for FSX purposes, got me a Fujitsu Siemens with Vista Home premium Pre installed
Intel(R)core(tm)2cpu 4300@1,800Hz
2 CPU'S~1.8GHz
memory 1022MB RAM
Direcft X10
Nvidia Ge Force 7500LE
Realtek (HIgh Definition Audio)
Began by installing the sim and getting error messages and calling M.S Support and cheking forums for advice on these. At M.S.(Support) I found out after a while that Vista is as new to them as for the rest of us.
Finally updated drivers and the sim works ok, a bit jumpy on the frames, but that depends on your personal settings,all in all in works ok but does not compare to how Fs9 performed in my old machine with XP

#8: Re: Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:45 pm
    ----
Stoop's posted some tips for improving performance in the relevant forums.
May be of some help with your new machine.
Wink

#9: Re: Vista? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:18 pm
    ----
Well I tell ya what berlopez.....you may not like hearing this since you just bought that computer, but the 1024 (1 MB) of RAM is likely what's holding you down some. I can testify that a second Megabyte of RAM really helps turn FSX on in a big way. She needs memory. And Vista will definitely appreciate too I'm sure. If you can swing it I'd suggest checking with your computer vendor abotu a RAM upgrade, since it's usually not too expensive and easy to do yourself, plus nice to do when the system is new and clean and not filled with dust....just a sugegstion.

#10: Re: Vista? Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:01 pm
    ----
Smile Stoopy: Thanks for the imput, I'll take into serious consideration

I found this at jutflight.com and it really helped:
Hi,

THIS WORKS! I tried it and WOW!! It is flyable around London now!

** BACKUP ANY/ALL FILES MENTIONED BELOW BEFORE EDITING ANYTHING ***

Open display.cfg file found in the FS X program folder. Look for the following:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;**********************************************************************
;
; NVidia Cards
;
;**********************************************************************

;----------------------------------------------------------------------
; NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XP
;----------------------------------------------------------------------
[nv4_disp.dll]
Disable=1
Shader20Plus=13
UseShaders=0
[nv4_disp.dll.1]
MinDriverRev=5.13.01.1241
Disable=2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add the two lines written in BOLD, EXACTLY where it appears in the quote above. DO NOT COPY ANYTHING ELSE AS MINE MAY BE DIFFERENT TO YOURS! ONLY COPY THE ENTRIES IN BOLD!

Enjoy a quicker/smoother FS X!!
It's much smoother now, jumps abit still; Still experimenting...

#11: Re: Vista? Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:32 pm
    ----
Ah, yes, the shader trick....I didn't put it into the list we have here becuase of people then having problems with runway and taxiway signs showing up. Check those, and if you don't have that problem then you're one of the lucky people it works for. Good luck!

#12: Re: Vista? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:07 am
    ----
I agree with Stoop's about needing more than 1Gb RAM in Vista for better experiences with today's flight sim's.
You should also be aware that there are restrictions on the amount of RAM you can comfortably use in Vista.
In other words, don't think "Oh, good idea. I'll put even more in and get even better results".

Vista 32bit is supposed to take up to 4Gb RAM, but it'll only recognise about 3.5Gb of it.
Vista 64bit will take a lot more RAM but then there are still a lot of problems with compatability with lots of software and drivers.

#13: Re: Vista? Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:43 pm
    ----
Smile This might nnot be of any help to anyone, 'cause I don't know what happened?...
I had to reinstall FSX, errased some folders my mistake tried to find them on disc, as you probaby know it's all in code and cannot identify!

Anyway I decided to reinstall and haven't touched my sliders only added some of my airplane addoons...I am getting excellent frames,I'm locked at 30 and I am even getting from 18-29.8!

-> Software