Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:26 pm
    ----
Its cheap and I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting it home, just send Paypay to pay for it

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...dZViewItem

#2: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:16 pm
    ----
But at least it's free shipping Smile

Jeff Lewis

#3: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:27 pm
    ----
In two boxes none the less...

Neil

#4: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:09 am
    ----
If I had a spare 50 thousand, I'd be sorely tempted. One would think that 50 thou wouldn't even cover the shipping of such a massive weight from the Ukraine to one's front yard.

Judging from the responses, most believe this to be a hoax. (?)

It was supplied to Egypt, seeing action in the Six Day War against IDF M48 Pattons That's something I'd like to learn more about. How did it do against M-48's?

#5: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:19 pm
    ----
Hmm, looks like someone is selling the local war memorial. . . .

A Russian friend of mine told me he knows a guy who made a fortune when he sold a complete factory . . . no-one had the deeds for it so he simply sold it.

H.

#6: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:01 pm
    ----
- Dennis_Smith
If I had a spare 50 thousand, I'd be sorely tempted. One would think that 50 thou wouldn't even cover the shipping of such a massive weight from the Ukraine to one's front yard.

Judging from the responses, most believe this to be a hoax. (?)

I am suspicious of several items of the auction as well - the ownership, as described, may be true (ie former collective farm, now owned by a private company); but the part that "Technical examination can be made in Kiev at service ground of "Ukr. Oboron Service" (Ukrainian defence service)" is definately suspicious IMO...

One thing I just noticed - $50k is just the starting bid, someone has already bid that much - and there's a "reserve" (ie an unspecified minimum amount it will go for). That reserve could be $100k or $200k for all we know...

Neil

#7: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:13 pm
    ----
Well, the auction ended with only 1 bidder and the reserve not met... We'll see if its relisted.

Neil

#8: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 am
    ----
Its been relisted:
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...0089971713

I believe it has to sell this time - cannot be relisted a third time. Has 2 bidders now...

Neil

#9: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:25 pm
    ----
Interesting - the auction has been removed... I wonder if Ebay smelled a rat?

"This listing (260089971713) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number. If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled."

Neil

#10: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:36 pm
    ----
I was under the impression that when the USSR broke up that Russians made it conditional that all war memorials were to be preserved by the nation which had them but were to remain the property of Russia.

Cool

#11: Re: Soviet heavy tank IS-3 on Ebay Author: vaughanLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:22 pm
    ----
There has been a number of monuments go missing in the Ukraine every-time I am there it seems something else is gone and most likely it went for scrap. E-bay would have pulled the auction because they do not allow things like tanks to be sold if listed outside the USA.
But I am 99.99% sure it was a scam anyway.

Vaughan

-> AFV News Discussion Board