Any guesses...Mystery weapon....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:30 am
    ----
Anyone got an idea on this????

From the website:
Michael Yon online

Don

#2: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:53 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

Interesting!

I read a number of the posts over at Michael Yon site.

I question the call that is a toy. Look at that scope. If it was toy, why spend that much money for a nice rifle scope? While it looks like a toy to me, I don't think it is.

Some have called it a recoilless rifle. Doesn't look like it has a breach block assemble on the rear end of it.

Some have called it a potato launcher. While someone like me might have some fun building and using a potato launcher, why would someone who has RPG rockets waste their time building a launcher for potatos?

Some have called it an anti-aircraft weapon. Based on that RPG warhead laying next to it and having seen full size Redeyes, Stingers, and SA7s, I don't think it is big enough to be an anti-aircraft missle launcher.

If that thing was a manufactured weapon, why haven't we seen more of them?

My call:

Someone has/had a supply of RPG rockets and DIDN'T have a launcher for them. Being that someone was a bit handy with tools, he/they made a launcher from some lumber, some pipes, and a few screws.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Neutral

#3: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 pm
    ----
Maybe a 75mm sniper rifle? Wink

#4: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:42 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

Interesting!

I read a number of the posts over at Michael Yon site.

I question the call that is a toy. Look at that scope. If it was toy, why spend that much money for a nice rifle scope? While it looks like a toy to me, I don't think it is.

Some have called it a recoilless rifle. Doesn't look like it has a breach block assemble on the rear end of it.

Some have called it a potato launcher. While someone like me might have some fun building and using a potato launcher, why would someone who has RPG rockets waste their time building a launcher for potatos?

Some have called it an anti-aircraft weapon. Based on that RPG warhead laying next to it and having seen full size Redeyes, Stingers, and SA7s, I don't think it is big enough to be an anti-aircraft missle launcher.

If that thing was a manufactured weapon, why haven't we seen more of them?

My call:

Someone has/had a supply of RPG rockets and DIDN'T have a launcher for them. Being that someone was a bit handy with tools, he/they made a launcher from some lumber, some pipes, and a few screws.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Neutral

At first I thought toy, then looking at the scope figured it was some movie prop/paintball weapon or something made for the serious recreational market. But after looking at the site and seeing it is with real RPG weapons I wonder if it is a modern production weapon. I don't think I agree with the 'cobbled together from lumper, pipes and screws'. From what little I've seen of improvised weapons this one appears to be finished to too high a standard. It would be interesting to see other pictures to help determine if it is a 'one off' or a production item

#5: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:48 pm
    ----
When I brighten it up and enlarge it on my screen, I notice a carry handle and some other appendage on the "round" at bottom. What's up with that?

I don't think it's a toy, but a crafted downsized launcher for stealthy carry or transport. Looks risky to use, too, but these are insurgents. Not much clearance for gases for the guy firing the thing, if it is, in fact, real.

#6: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:05 pm
    ----
Hi everyone,
It could be a prop designed to get a kid shot by coalition forces. Unfortunately there are Imams and other influential people that have been giving very realistic toy weapons (AK, MP-5, M4 etc.) to kids in the mahalla's that actually fire pellets. (My friend came very close to killing one). Until you get within 4 to 5 feet you'd swear they were real. You don't need to guess what they are hoping for. All it takes is a young troop that's nervous and a kid to point it at him. Even something that strange looking could get you shot.

Joe D

#7: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:16 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Hi everyone,
It could be a prop designed to get a kid shot by coalition forces. Unfortunately there are Imams and other influential people that have been giving very realistic toy weapons (AK, MP-5, M4 etc.) to kids in the mahalla's that actually fire pellets. (My friend came very close to killing one). Until you get within 4 to 5 feet you'd swear they were real. You don't need to guess what they are hoping for. All it takes is a young troop that's nervous and a kid to point it at him. Even something that strange looking could get you shot.

Joe D

That's such an appalling alien concept that it obviously didn't even occur to me. I'm familiar with encountering younger soldiers, but with real weapons that fire real projectiles. The kind of blatant disregard for the lives of children that would expend them with no chance of their fighting back, just for the sheer PR value of their death still doesn't come easily to the forefront of this old soldiers mind.

Thanks for the reminder....I think. Sad

#8: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:44 pm
    ----
Looking down the thread where this picture came from one person had an idea that is making some sense to me

This person postulates that since this was found with real RPGs it may be a training aid where the trainee can sight the 'target' through the scope while the trainer views through the tube (boresight) to check out the trainee's aim.

As far as the prop designed to create an 'incident' I remember when toy guns here in the States began getting the orange muzzle caps because of incidents where police officers reacted when they had toys pointed at them.

I also remember the reports during the Iran/Iraq war of the use of young teenagers (and possibly younger children) being used by both sides to test areas for mines and other impediments before attacks. No matter how much I hear stories of 'they don't value life the way we do' I really hope there is a special place in Hell for people use such tactics

Sorry for the soapbox (I take that back I'm not sorry at all)

#9: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:53 pm
    ----
Sorry guys,
Didn't mean to hit a nerve,

Joe D

#10: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:06 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Sorry guys,

Joe D

No apology necessary, Joe. Dose of reality time, and you're the man on the scene. We're looking for answers and your postulation is as good as any we have at the moment.

D.

#11: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:25 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Joe_D
Sorry guys,

Joe D

No apology necessary, Joe. Dose of reality time, and you're the man on the scene. We're looking for answers and your postulation is as good as any we have at the moment.

D.

Dittos.

But the fact it has a real scope on it makes me question the 'kid's toy' idea. A simple tube for a sight (maybe with thread cross hairs) would be good enough for that.

#12: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:32 pm
    ----
I saw this image about two months ago - its a toy from one of those action figure sets as is the RPG in the same image..

Cool

#13: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:38 pm
    ----
Wow, talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Now that I look at it, the dirt particles etc in the background look off - too large... There's a lesson about identification in here somewhere...

Neil

#14: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:26 pm
    ----
This should end this thread...

i161.photobucket.com/a...iernk8.jpg

img254.imageshack.us/i...geddi5.jpg

Cool

#15: Re: Any guesses...Mystery weapon.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:39 pm
    ----
Wasn't that the same "guy" taken "hostage" at one point?

-> AFV News Discussion Board