Sorta Late M1 Serial/Registration locations
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sorta Late M1 Serial/Registration locations Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:00 pm
    ----
Sorry it's late but it's the soonest I could do this,
Subject is an M1A2 SEP.

Side view showing locations of welded plates

Rear view showing where Registration and Serial Number location. This is the only reliable place to get these externally.

Welded plate example

Stamped example

The next two pictures are close ups of skirt plates all from the same tank. A skirt will come from any source and most M1A2 SEP's retained the original M1/105 serial number if it was a rebuild. That's why I don't use them to get a tank's serial number. A lot of the new AIM tanks don't even have these plates now.

Joe D

#2: Re: Sorta Late M1 Serial/Registration locations Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:47 pm
    ----
Those are exactly the locations I found the numbers on the M1's around here at Ft Hood. There was however a serial plate like the ones on the side skirts that was tacked onto the top of the exhaust cover grates as well on some. In the rear shot of your M1, it would be on the black grate, on top, dircetly over top of the pintle hook.

#3: Re: Sorta Late M1 Serial/Registration locations Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:56 pm
    ----
If you open the battery box cover the USA # is usually stenciled inside.

-> AFV News Discussion Board