Armored Dozers Large and Small...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Jeffrey_ButtonLocation: Killeen,Tx PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:42 am
    ----
Here are some dozers I have been dying to post. The big one is a Rome Plow caterpiller "D7E" bulldozer, made by Rome Plow Company of Cedartown,GA. The smaller one of the two's reg number is 8K4889.

#2: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:10 pm
    ----
Hi! Lit' Jeff! Hi Folks!

Nice set of photos, thanks.

It's nice to see another member of the total team.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:02 am
    ----
I once examined a serviceable dozer used by a Saskatchewan farmer and thought members might appreciate how hard some dozers are used. Leonard Langdon's dozer was an older model with the pull start on the rear of the engine. Saskatchewan is cold; how many ropes did he break and sore shoulders did he give himself, hauling on that rope? How much ether Quickstart or diesel diluted with kerosene did he use? Obviously it started enough times because the diamond plate on the footboards was worn smooth from friction of muddy boots.

Hard service for solid machinery. I wonder if those Engineer dozers had any less arduous a service life?

#4: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 am
    ----
Fort Campbell Museum also has a small dozer

#5: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:38 am
    ----
*Ahem*

Jeff,
At some propitious moment, you may need to present your "resumé" folder for the staff there and offer your services....I think they could benefit from your established organizational skills and attention to detail. Wink

#6: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:39 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
Fort Campbell Museum also has a small dozer

Another M450 - Anybody seen an M450L?

Cool

#7: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:32 am
    ----
I posted this a while back but refound it in my "archieve". It was from my AKO (Army knowledge on-Line) account. What a beast compared to the M450!

#8: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:17 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button
I posted this a while back but refound it in my "archieve". It was from my AKO (Army knowledge on-Line) account. What a beast compared to the M450!

If I remember correctly, the operator with the M16 is a female soldier for all you folks that have daughters like me.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:37 am
    ----
Caterpillar D10R?

Cool

#10: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:35 pm
    ----
Hi Jim! Hi Folks!

- JimWeb

Caterpillar D10R?
Cool

Per the Army.mil web site, it's a D9, but then you know now reporters are often wrong.

Operator is Sgt. Gail Gray, 505th Engr. Bn. 101st Airborne Division near Tikrit Iraq.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#11: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:55 pm
    ----
Hi Li'l Jeff,
And a welcome to the Board (Sorry my welcome is late).
I found some dozer shots I took a few months ago, thought you'd like to see what they are using now.

Jim, Roy, A guy I worked with in Tennesse (an Engineer) said that beast was a D9. His unit had them in 2003. Here's a picture of one in action.

Joe D

#12: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:16 am
    ----
I was at the MTLB today when I noticed this display pad being built across the street. I walked over and the soldiers looked at me funny when I asked them what was going to be placed on this new pad. One of them chimed in that it was "that big bulldozer across the post". Since there's only one on the entire post that he could be talking about, I said, "Oh, you mean the Rome Plow?". With that they all looked at me with dumb-founded looks and the lone soldier just said, "Yeah". I said thanks and then walked off. Thats one big piece of re-bar mesh they are going to lay in there. I'd really like to see how they are going to move that dozer. I hope they don't screw it up, it is in awfully good shape as-is.

#13: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
One of them chimed in that it was "that big bulldozer across the post". Since there's only one on the entire post that he could be talking about, I said, "Oh, you mean the Rome Plow?". With that they all looked at me with dumb-founded looks and the lone soldier just said, "Yeah".

Speaking of....here are a couple of shots of Rome Plow ops being supported by Roy & my sister troop, "E" Troop...taken by fellow Sheridan School classmate Roger Justison, with whom I went over to RVN only to be separated at Cam Ranh Bay, and then reunited at Phu Loi when we came in to prep our vehicles for turnover to the ARVN. I relocated Roger a couple of years ago and he sent me some pics so I don't think he'd mind my sharing these with this DG.

#14: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:54 am
    ----
Are they planning on moving that rebar grid into the pad form? Most times I've seen crews assemble the rebar in place rather than try to move it once it is all wired together.

#15: Re: Armored Dozers Large and Small... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:52 pm
    ----
- Jeffrey_Button
Here are some dozers I have been dying to post. The big one is a Rome Plow caterpiller "D7E" bulldozer, made by Rome Plow Company of Cedartown,GA. The smaller one of the two's reg number is 8K4889.

Thanks for posting those Jeffrey,

would you by any chance have a clear shot of the stencils on the side of the Rome plow? Methinks I feel a project rearing its ugly head... Cool

Cheers,

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board