4ID museum storage "other" armor...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 4ID museum storage "other" armor... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:00 pm
    ----
What we have here are the other two armor pieces that were in storage. One is obviously a very sad M114, (sorry Roy). It is all welded shut up top but the rear seems to be just padlocked and there appears to be a pack.
The other vehicle is what I guess to be a Priest. Correct me if I'm wrong. The paint was not thick and the tow lugs had absolutely no stampings, nor could I find any markings on the hull. No data plate inside and the pack is missing. I did however find the following stamped into the cannon; "Howitzer 105mm M2A1 No1, ORD Dept, U.S.A., United ENG & FDY Co., 1944, 1060 LBS, INSP H.M.P." I also noticed three different types of wheels used on the left side, and the track its self seems very worn. Any ideas as to what this is?

#2: Re: 4ID museum storage "other" armor... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:03 pm
    ----
Yep.

an M7B1 "Priest" with the howitzer in recoil, and quite certainly retired before the SPC-rank was even introduced (which reminds me, how long did the T/Sgts exist?). What's the deal with that, was that the crew that took care of it when it was a unit's mascot or run on parades?

Cheers,

Jens O.

#3: Re: 4ID museum storage "other" armor... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:00 am
    ----
I suspect the names may have been painted on it in memorium - if so for gun crews that obviously post-dated the vehicle itself.

Neil

#4: Re: 4ID museum storage "other" armor... Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:35 am
    ----
It's actually a rather rare Priest since it is still in its WWII configuration and not one of those that was upgraded for the Korean War.

#5: Re: 4ID museum storage "other" armor... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:03 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
What we have here are the other two armor pieces that were in storage. One is obviously a very sad M114, (sorry Roy). It is all welded shut up top but the rear seems to be just padlocked and there appears to be a pack.....

Jeff

I found the below stamped in the M114 in E-town. Check the left rear side below the upper lifting eyelet.

Don

Last edited by Dontos on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: 4ID museum storage "other" armor... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:23 am
    ----
On the M114 At Frederick MD I found two numbers on the exterior One was in almost the same location the other I'm trying figure out where it was for sure. The problem is that one was 580 and the other was 597 so I'm wondering what they are. I keep hoping to get inside and see if I could find the data plate

-> AFV News Discussion Board