Serial Number Guide...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:25 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

Does anyone know if there is a serial number on the out side of the Swizz G-13 tank destroyer?

I am not aware of any.

Massimo

#17: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:31 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Doug!

Yes, even posted my question in that thread back in March 2009. As of today, still no response.

You get A for effort Doug!

That never worked for me in school!

#18: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:20 am
    ----
Hi Doug!

Yes, even posted my question in that thread back in March 2009. As of today, still no response.

You get A for effort Doug!

#19: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:50 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know if there is a serial number on the out side of the Swizz G-13 tank destroyer?

Thanks,
Roy

Greetings, Trooper!

Have you look in on this thread? I suspect that maybe Massimo or Zemsi can get you on the right "track" there.

www.com-central.net/in...p;start=45

#20: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:41 am
    ----
Hi Everyone!

Thanks,
Roy

#21: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:41 pm
    ----
Hello.

Who can help with disposition of S/Ns of shassis and hull of Panther tank?
We have found one number, but now I am not sure if this is a hull or chassis number?

P.S. Data tables are not present.

#22: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm
    ----
[quote=
It also makes it very hard to indentify vehicle's from the serial number

Michel[/quote]

Truthfully, the only really reliable way is the manufacturer's data plate inside near the driver's position. If the plate is the original, then that is the 'final' answer. If not? Well then you are no better or worse off than before!

Chuck

#23: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:22 pm
    ----
Well I'm not disappointed Crying or Very sad

Just as I thought I understand the serial number system, it actualy does not work

I will get over it .... some how Mr. Green

It also makes it very hard to indentify vehicle's from the serial number

Michel

#24: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:29 pm
    ----
Michel

Sorry, I have to disappoint you. The M4A1(76)W should have a cast differential housing, one like n our Priest. At sometime in the past they did swap the diff with one from a M4A4. The serialnumber I have for that M4A1 is SN 52373.

tichenor

#25: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:35 pm
    ----
for the Sherman freaks, something to investigate

At the tanks in town event there was an M4A1 (76)W Sherman

At the right front towing eye was the following number: 21242
picture here; WARNING BIG !!! the last digit is almost faded away
i1015.photobucket.com/...970_sn.jpg

The interresting part is, if this is the serial number:
- it is at the front tow eye, and it is an M4A1; perhaps this was an possible location so no worries;
- this number in not known in the survivor list;
- the number does not match the serial number list, this number range is listed for M4A4's build at Chrysler

Who know's the anwser Confused

The painted on RN is 3084970, if some one would like to know

Michel

#26: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: sil3ntLocation: Poznan, Poland PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:17 am
    ----
Sturmgeschütz IV from Museum of the Armored Weapons Pozna?/Poland

( picture comes from: www.muzeumbronipancernej.pl )

#27: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:04 pm
    ----
Hi folks,

has some one an idea where to look for serial numbers on an M18 Hellcat ?

I have been looking for them on the vehicle (see the M18 in the Netherlands AFV reg thread)
However I could not find any, perhaps it will be easier if I know where to look

Michel

#28: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:42 am
    ----
Joe,

Thanks for the info. I never would have guessed the hulls could have been made in pieces and welded together. Something else to look for on an M60.

BB-61

#29: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:24 am
    ----
BB-61,

Is there a list of foundries that made the M60 hulls?

Here are the foundries that made hulls and turrets for M60 tanks.

General Steel Castings Corporation, Eddystone Pennsylvania & Granite City Illinois.

"G" inside a Shield. They made both Hull and Turret Castings for M60, M60A1, and M60A2. Any M60A3 with these marks are rebuilt from A1. The hulls made by them were one piece, or as close as you can get to it since the floor plates were welded in. They also used the prefix "GC" with the casting series number.

Continental Foundry and Machine Company, East Chicago Indiana.
Continental Foundry and Machine Company, Wheeling West Virginia.
Continental Foundry and Machine Company, Carapolis Pennsylvania.

"C", "P", or "W" inside a "C". Continental made the majority of the Hull and Turret Castings from their three foundries. These hulls were cast in separate sections and welded together. The sectional hulls can be ID'd by a vertical weld seam along the side. After 1974 the rear hull was cast in two pieces and can be ID'd by the vertical weld seam bisecting the rear below the grill doors. Blaw Knox eventually owned Continental but they retained the same cast ID's. On occasion some of these sectional hulls will use castings from more than one of Continental foundries.

Union Steel Castings, a Division of Blaw Knox, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.

Keystone with "U" inside. Turret Castings only to my knowledge.

Pittsburgh Steel Foundry Corporation (PSF), Glassport Pennsylvania.

Circle with a "P" inside an upside down star. This mark is found on early M60A1 turrets. They also made gun mantels and were marked with "PSF" instead of the star symbol.

There is much more to this but it could fill a chapter in a book and get pretty boring to most Rolling Eyes .

#30: Re: Serial Number Guide... Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:44 am
    ----
sorry for the duplicate msg.

BB-61

Last edited by BB-61 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

-> AFV News Discussion Board