Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:00 am
    ----
I saw this today at a local pawn shop at the on ramp to freeway 190 and Ft Hood Rd. Yes I relize the hull and turret are basically wood, duh. But that chassis has me thrown. What is this from and how old is it?

#2: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:09 am
    ----
British Universal carrier,....I think

#3: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:40 am
    ----
CORRECT

#4: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:41 am
    ----
A friend of a friend of mine whose a Generalissimo of Air-Mech Doctrine assures me that this was an early SuperGavin proof-of-concept mockup vehicle. Wink

#5: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:56 am
    ----
I know I could "Google" the British Universal Carrier, but this sure seems old, (or just crappy shape). Are these so numerous that they are easy to "come by". My son thinks it would quite easily be the coolest "military fort" he's ever had.

#6: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:07 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
I know I could "Google" the British Universal Carrier, but this sure seems old, (or just crappy shape). Are these so numerous that they are easy to "come by". My son thinks it would quite easily be the coolest "military fort" he's ever had.

I've seen that vehicle (minus the wooden add ons).

There is a 'broker'/private collector in Killeen who hosts the show that is advertised. I lost the link to his website.

Don

#7: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:40 am
    ----
I don't think it is a standard Universal Carrier. It's from that family but count the wheels

#8: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:11 am
    ----
- bsmart
I don't think it is a standard Universal Carrier. It's from that family but count the wheels

Which is exactly the number of wheels it should have, the one posted by armyjunk is an US made T16 posing as a Commonwealth vehicle- the things they do in collections and museums... Rolling Eyes

Cheers,

Jens O.

#9: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:37 pm
    ----
I gotta say, you learn something new everyday. I have never paid any attention to these carriers, 3 road wheels British Universal Carrier, 4 road wheels on T16. Mr Ropkey describes his machine as a T-16 in British colors wouldn't that be appropriate?

#10: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:28 pm
    ----
The first 'extended length' SUV Smile

I thought one of them may have been a T16 but that early in the morning wasn't going to try and trace it down. Thanks for coming through guys!

#11: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:00 pm
    ----
There's nothing wrong with a T-16 in Commonwealth colors as the Canadians were a big user of them.

#12: Re: Please ID this chassis in Killeen, TX.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:43 pm
    ----
Aaah,

you passed the attention test, in fact Ford USA produced 18,893 carriers for the British, although pictures in service are somehow rare, most of them seem to have been used in Canada and post-war by the Swiss.

Cheers,

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board