Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications...
-> Software

#1: Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications... Author: Uhu_RodionLocation: L'Aquila, Italy PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:47 pm
    ----
... is how is called an automatic update which you might find loaded onto your system, in case the option for automatic download from MS is activated on your PC.

Not sure if it is provided only for XP or also for Vista, but anyway it checks the validation key of the OS installed on your 'puter, and case you have an illegal copy, "invites" you to amend through the purchasing of a new key - then you'll be sent also a new copy of the OS on CD.

An innovative step against piracy, I guess, but here is how I stumbled into this. Right before past Xmas my system collapsed and there was no way to restore it. After many useless attempts, I had to give up and brought the pc to the assistance, asking them to add an HD and move the old one to slave.

Moreover, I recommended them to install only the OS (here they have the habit to stuff your hd with a lot of garbage software). Accordingly, I brought them my original disk - XP Home Edition, but when I took back the pc, they told me they had installed XP Pro, which is better.
Wink
I confess I urgently needed my system back and it wasn't the time for being fussy - and after all, Pro is better than Home, isn't it? So I confidently activated the automatic update procedure as usual... and MS got me with my hand into the honey!
Razz
Now, if you ran into a similar situation, and now aren't sure of what you have on your system, maybe you should better have a look: this is where MS will drive you to:
-> www.microsoft.com/genu...b8a05c761d

Be careful!
Shocked
Marco

#2: Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:53 pm
    ----
Pro is better for networking.
That's about all.
I have it on mine because I thought it would be better as well.

Otherwise Home and Pro are supposed to be pretty similar although, on the systems I've seen, 'Home' seems to play games better.

-> Software