M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:26 am
    ----
This was suppossed to be one of the vehicles I could get into today but the key wouldn't work, go figure. I was able to get into the M4A1 and the M36B1, so stay tuned for those pictures to be posted tomorrow. However this Sherman still remains a mystery. There is a reg number, 30101502, with 89 stamped just above. These were on the front left edge. The rear tow lugs have nothing. The two shots of the inside I tried snapping through one of the missing TC vision blocks. Anyone have any clues on this vehicle?

#2: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:30 am
    ----
I am pretty certain the lower number is the RN - interestingly it looks like the painted the RN 1 digit off... No idea what the upper number is - all the ones I have seen are too low to be the SN...

Neil

#3: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:39 am
    ----
I believe that Joe DeMarco might be able to figure out the proper serial from that reg number. That is however where I find most reg numbers on Shermans. I scrapped both rear tow lugs pretty good and found no markings. I could go a little further with sand paper but that will have to wait till my return from Ft Eustis.

#4: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:47 pm
    ----
Speaking of Shermans and something for the foreign AFV register...

www.korea-dpr.com/user...s/K011.htm

Cool

#5: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:19 am
    ----
Hmmm Mista Jim,

and just where in the charming Democratic Republic of Korea (aka North K.) might that museum be? Cool

Cheers,

Jens O.

#6: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:14 pm
    ----
Just like you I was unable to figure it out from the site - well I assume you made some token attempt by going through the site...

Cool

#7: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:25 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Just like you I was unable to figure it out from the site - well I assume you made some token attempt by going through the site...

Cool

Tsk tsk,

assuming, aren't we? Laughing Yeah, I went through the site first, but then I remembered the powers of Google Fu invested in me after long years of study in an undisclosed location- it's the Museum of Victory of the Fatherland Liberation War aka the Pyongyang Military Museum Cool

Actually sounds like an interesting location "The Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum (Korean War) with animated 1:200 models, including moving soldiers, blasting bombs (sounds) and revolutionary music", and you can even book a tour, but I'd rather not go there while the Kims are in power...

Cheers,

Jens O.

#8: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:12 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Tsk tsk,

assuming, aren't we? Laughing Yeah, I went through the site first, but then I remembered the powers of Google Fu invested in me after long years of study in an undisclosed location

Does a seat with your own name written on it in the KitKatClub qualify as an educational institute? Wink

it's the Museum of Victory of the Fatherland Liberation War aka the Pyongyang Military Museum Cool

Google is usually my last choice - after years of looking things up in books I can't quite get out of the habit...

Cool

#9: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:33 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

Does a seat with your own name written on it in the KitKatClub qualify as an educational institute? Wink

Psst, you're forgetting the general public has access to this site... Wink

- JimWeb

Google is usually my last choice - after years of looking things up in books I can't quite get out of the habit...

Cool

Yep, I usually touch paper first as well, but I knew my references on North Korean military museums are so slim to be nonexistent. Smile

Cheers,

Jens O.

#10: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:54 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- JimWeb

Psst, you're forgetting the general public has access to this site... Wink

Everyone else is frantically googling KitKatClub so as to find out where your mispent youth took place Laughing

Cool

#11: Re: M4A3E8 pictures at Ft Hood.... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:02 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

Everyone else is frantically googling KitKatClub so as to find out where your mispent youth took place Laughing

Cool

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Bwahahaaaa...

That should keep them entertained for a while... Cool

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board