Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...)
-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum

#1: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:38 pm
    ----
...for when things get a bit slow...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=36MFh4of6lE

Mr. Green

#2: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-fr8ycatLocation: Los Angeles PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:10 pm
    ----
Awesome. Here's one to get ya in the mood for some helo action. Been awhile since watching it and I just realised the Huey pilot is R. Lee. Laughing

www.youtube.com/watch?...ed&search=

#3: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:23 pm
    ----
Excellent!

And because I won a contest here a while back, where I learned what a "Pink Team" is, now I fully understand the line: "Outstanding, Red Team, getchya a case o'beer for that one!".

#4: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:12 pm
    ----
Dangit, Ascout!!!!!!

I ended up watching that Bullit chase scene about a zillion times - too cool. Hey, Car Craft did a story on that a while ago and said there were two cars - one with a 390 (which is a helluva squeeze) and one with what Steve McQueen said was a "hopped-up 289" (more believeable). But, although rumors abound, no one is really sure!

And is it me or did his car have an open diff? Looked like one-wheel burnouts, and the opposite wheel shreddin' rubber in reverse.

Anyway, dangit, watching that came at a cost....I'm ordering this in the next coupla days:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/05Mufflers/

(You can hear ‘em if you play the videos!)

And FYI, lowest price seems to be $277 at Jeg's:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_745019_-1

#5: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:43 pm
    ----
The real skinny?

The Mustang was a 390 ('67-'68's could take a big block FE no problem and this was a stock option), but had to be modified to hang with the 440 Charger, which had a pretty stock out-of-the box engine. This is not surprizing as this is a mismatch of displacment and tuning for stockers. The 390 FE is a capable engine, but not a match for a 440 Magnum from the factory. Both sets of cars had modded suspensions to handle the jumps.
McQueen had the "GT" emblems removed from the Mustang as he didn't like them. It was a standard feature of that model, though.

Tip: You can tell the scenes in which Bud Ekins is driving the Mustang because in those scenes, the car has no rear view mirror mounted inside the car. The ones with the Stevester behind the wheel does.

Also, you'll notice the dash is ripped in the 'Stang, apart from some other imperfections.

Oh, the reverse action shows mega-wheel hop, not unusual for axle tramp and windup in reverse...which that shot illustrates beautfully (typical for leaf springs, and what traction bars are designed to prevent). Normally there is no effort to control that because that's not the direction you go at the strip.

#6: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:31 pm
    ----
Just read a story about the scene and the guys who prepped the cars and yup, that's the same thing. I forgot the 390 was an option on the '67, even when I have an Aunt who claims to have had a '67 GT with that motor - and says the exhast headers (what she called 'em - a factory manifold "header" I'm sure) were routed through the sides of the fenderwells.

We had two cars with 390's when I was growing up - a '69 Ford Galaxie two-door that we had painted gunmetal gray with a black vinyl roof - ended up looking a lot like a Raodrunner. And a '67 T-bird. Great cars!

While we're on the youtube roll as well......and car chases - here's one for your enjoyment, I've always thought it ranked right up there for adrenaline and intensity.....from the movie "To Live and Die in LA"...

(LANGUAGE WARNIN' FOR YOU YOUNGER KIDS!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i52cJRLlgQ

#7: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:34 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Just read a story about the scene and the guys who prepped the cars and yup, that's the same thing. I forgot the 390 was an option on the '67, even when I have an Aunt who claims to have had a '67 GT with that motor - and says the exhast headers (what she called 'em - a factory manifold "header" I'm sure) were routed through the sides of the fenderwells.

For those that like to badmouth the venerable 390, and there are many, I suggest they look this over, before they stick their foot in it, too. Wink

www.woodyg.com/fairlan...years.html

#8: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 pm
    ----
Great Read!!!!!

Have I ever said anything bad about the 390? I have not. An' I never would.

Now......the 292 and 312 series before it......ewwwwww!!!!

(edit: Oops! 390 not 290!! )

Last edited by JG300-Stoopy on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:47 pm
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Great Read!!!!!

Have I ever said anything bad about the 290? I have not. An' I never would.

Now......the 292 and 312 series before it......ewwwwww!!!!

Nope, not sayin' you did...

an' the Y blocks left a lot to be desired, though I did have a 352 Police Interceptor, that I threw away, to put the 427 in it's place on a '58 Fairlane. Wink

#10: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:09 pm
    ----
Stoopy...some interesting stuff on the chase scenes in here you might like at the beginning and toward the end...

www.youtube.com/watch?...ed&search=

#11: Re: Yo! Stoopy (and all youse gearheads...) Author: JG300-WILLIFOCK PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:34 am
    ----
wish the hoods in my town still looked like that

-> JG300 Wild Sau Gruppe Public Forum