Installation Detection
-> FS2004

#1: Installation Detection Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am
    ----
My system has begun to show a message when I try to open some folders of third party aircraft like the PMDG 737 NG; First it says"Dong!" and the message appears: "Fatal Error" the system cannot detect a valid Fs2004 installation???Could I have errased something and if yes where in the discs could I get it from and install whatever is missing???

#2: Re: Installation Detection Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:52 pm
    ----
Bernardo,
by the sound of it, it looks like it cannot find the registry entry for fs9

try this tool to check if your fs9 registry path is correct

furthermore a listing as to what is on what disc for fs9, bear in mind that those files are whitout the fs9.1 patch !

Disk1
msgame1.cab -folders- 1033,aircraft,autogen,charts,config,effects,flights,fonts
msgame2.cab -folders- fsweb,

Disk2
msgame3.cab -folders- gauges,indeo,lessons,messages,modules,script,texture,uires,weather
msgame4.cab -folders- sound/usenglishsmall.gvp
msgame5.cab -folders- sound/usenglishbig.gvp
msgame6.cab -folders- sound,

Disk3
msgame7.cab -folders- scenery/cities/newyork,seattle
msgame8.cab -folders- scenery/base,eure,eurw,generic,namc,name,namw,props,vehicles
msgame9.cab -folders- scenery/cities/dallas,denver,oshkosh,stmaarten,

Disk4
compact - scenery.cfg
complete - scenery.cfg
scenery/cities/ remaining from disk3
scenery/afri,asia,aust,ocen,same,world

good luck

fled
Cool

#3: Re: Installation Detection Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:38 pm
    ----
Harry: Thanks for the tool I don't dare to use it. I have no disc 4 exe intalled. This only happens fx. when I want to open a folder with instructions for fx. the PMDG 737 NG. Otherwise the sim works fine. Wink

#4: Re: Installation Detection Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:43 pm
    ----
in that case your PDMG install is corrupted, just re-install your PDMG 737 NG and it should be fine.

DON't forget after the install to do a DEFRAG

good luck

fled
Cool

#5: Re: Installation Detection Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:14 pm
    ----
If the tool being discussed is the little gizmo that restores FS9 registry entries, then it's pretty dggone safe. I had to use it as well, it seems that when I uninstalled the FSX Demo, it yanked my FS9 registry entries as well....really!

If that's not it, then Fled nailed it, I'd say.

#6: Re: Installation Detection Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:38 pm
    ----
rgr Stoopy, it's the restore fs9 registry path tooly

as for the other, only way of action I can think of before messing more up than recover

#7: Re: Installation Detection Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:20 pm
    ----
Sorry to repeat myself,
Even though I have never used it; The "DONG" happens when I try to use the Load Manager_FS2004.exe
Aircraft Load manager
Precision Manuals Development.
And the "DONG" Says: FATAL ERROR
"Could not detect a valid microsoft flight simulator Installation"

The same thing happens when I try to install the Justflight products the installer cannot find a valid install and I have to browse for it manually. That is all. It's no big deal, just want to keep things in check.

I did a clean up of my Fs9 install it had a lot of double folders which appeared or get created when you install a new add-on sometimes it creates a new folder which can be FS2004, Fs9, Aircraft etc, etc and I had a mess in it. The last thing I want to do is to reinstall. Cool

As regards defraging is it normal that my computer takes nearly all night to do this???

#8: Re: Installation Detection Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:36 pm
    ----
in case of the "DONG" Bernardo, to me it sounds that your fs9 registry key got hosed in the proces somewhere, as add-on installers, not all of them, look for the fs9 registry key.

So therefore use the "tooly" to recreate the fs9 key in your registry and if all is well, the "DONG" shall have gone to the eternal hunting fields.

The tooly is pretty straight forward, tell it where your main fs9 folder is and it does the rest for you to restore your fs9 registry entry.

Good luck

fled
Cool

#9: Re: Installation Detection Author: gajinoz PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:08 am
    ----
- berlopez

As regards defraging is it normal that my computer takes nearly all night to do this???

Yes, quite possibly. It depends on such things as size of disk, how full it is and how fragged it is.

The best plan is to set it going before you go to bed and, if you're lucky, it will be finished when you get up.

Here is the important bits:

When it has finished, do another analyse, if there is any red do it again. you may have to make 2 or 3 passes to get it right. Then you should defrag at least weekly, even if it says you don't need to, defrag anyway. The weekly ones will take much less time.

A good move would be to get hold of something like O&O Defrag. Once you clean it up with the default Windows defrag tool use O&O regularly. It is faster and much more efficient in it's defragging.

Have fun! Smile

#10: Re: Installation Detection Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:19 pm
    ----
Smile I ran the little tool, installed the PMDG again, now that the tool corrected all my paths and no more "DONG" Thanks

#11: Re: Installation Detection Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:25 pm
    ----

fled

-> FS2004