Fort Sill in the seventies...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:20 pm
    ----
Fellow curmudgeons,

found these on a German modelling DG: Fort Sill way back when Cool

Enjoy,

Jens O.

#2: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:23 pm
    ----
Thanks Jens. I see the M108 and XM104...

Neil

#3: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:31 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
Fellow curmudgeons,

found these on a German modelling DG: Fort Sill way back when Cool

Enjoy,

Jens O.

OK, now I am worried..."Heute Lawton. Morgen die Welt!" Shocked

These guys are just too familiar with our heartland, fer crissakes!

....and whassup with this paintjob?! I was around in the '70's and while we were experimenting with some camo at the Armor Board in '73, I don't recall anything that looked like THIS! Shocked

WHAT was going on after I got out, anyway?!

Great stuff, Jens...Thanks!

#4: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:06 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

OK, now I am worried..."Heute Lawton. Morgen die Welt!" Shocked

These guys are just too familiar with our heartland, fer crissakes!

....and whassup with this paintjob?! I was around in the '70's and while we were experimenting with some camo at the Armor Board in '73, I don't recall anything that looked like THIS! Shocked

Teeheehee,

wait until I tell you about my past and secret life at Tobyhanna Army Depot Mr. Green

Actually, I'd seen this improvised camo in the past, seems in OD times the tan bands were supposed to be used in a desert environment, there was also a similar version for snowy terrain involving white bands. Cool

Cheers,

Jens O.

#5: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:41 pm
    ----
Speaking of strange cam - image from mid-80s

Somebody must have been on drugs when they did this...

Cool

#6: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:49 pm
    ----
I've seen better looking tile jobs in gas station bathrooms....

Say...aren't you supposed to be in Romania about now?

#7: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:06 am
    ----
Not of the 70's.....

But here is my version of Ft Sill in the 60's......

Don

#8: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:20 am
    ----
- Dontos
Not of the 70's.....

But here is my version of Ft Sill in the 60's......

Don

Of course, recruiting standards were much lower then....Cold War, Vietnam and all. Wink

#9: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:28 am
    ----
Gee Doug,....thanks alot.... Crying or Very sad (sniff, sniff)

Actually, Little did I know, I would end up 'Living the Legend' also.... but in a different area.

ADA (note branch insignia in photo...) was just not what I wanted to do, when it came time to raise my right hand.... (voluntarily in 1985... )

My 'new' avatar is a 'classic' also.... 1979 during a trip to Carlsbad Caverns (roaming the desert with a couple of friends... )

Don

#10: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:46 am
    ----
- Dontos

Don

Well, I owed you one for that "dinosaurs" thing. Call it evens. Laughing

#11: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:57 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos

Don

Actually I was going to 'counter fire' with something like ....

I was only 6 years old!!!.... What is your excuse?? But didn't want to go there. Don't want to drag Roy and the multitude of others into 'our' little squable.

Don

#12: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:05 am
    ----
- Dontos
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos

Don

Actually I was going to 'counter fire' with something like ....

I was only 6 years old!!!.... What is your excuse?? But didn't want to go there. Don't want to drag Roy and the multitude of others into 'our' little squable.

Don

(Psssst! Since you mentioned Roy...now there's a dinosaur!, but don't tell him I said so.... Wink )

#13: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:12 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

- JimWeb
Speaking of strange cam - image from mid-80s

Somebody must have been on drugs when they did this...

Cool

If this old "dinosaur" remembers right, that was called Du-Tex or something like that and it was the U.S. Army's attempt to improve on the British Berlin Brigade's city camo job. It was tested by a few units in Germany but as far as I know it didn't last very long. I think there was a story in Armor magazine with a photo or two of a M113 painted with that pattern.

CIA, yes! Dinosaur? Well maybe, I have been feeling that old lately.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#14: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:10 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
I've seen better looking tile jobs in gas station bathrooms....

Say...aren't you supposed to be in Romania about now?

Couple of weeks time...

Cool

#15: Re: Fort Sill in the seventies... Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:07 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

If this old "dinosaur" remembers right, that was called Du-Tex or something like that and it was the U.S. Army's attempt to improve on the British Berlin Brigade's city camo job. It was tested by a few units in Germany but as far as I know it didn't last very long. I think there was a story in Armor magazine with a photo or two of a M113 painted with that pattern.

Well done, CIA,

it was actually called Dual-Tex and was an attempt by the 7th Army to improve MERDEC, field tested by the 2ACR and one step of the way towards CARC- ISTR the Bundeswehr trialed something similar as well. Contrary to popular belief, it was not inspired by or intended as an equivalent to the British Berlin camouflage, but was supposed to blend in better than MERDEC and reduce IR visibility. Some more info and two shots of 2ACR M60A3s can be found here. Cool

I've seen M113s, M60s and M35/M109s in this scheme, there may have been others, but certainly not M24s Wink

Cheers,

Jens O.

-> AFV News Discussion Board