Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:04 pm
    ----
- Jens_O_Mehner
- Doug_Kibbey

Hah! He fell for it...just like ol' whatsizname on the train platform in "The Great Escape"!

"Your Okie ist good, Herr Mehner, and I hear alzo your English...your hands.....UP!" Twisted Evil

Pshaw,

your trap vas not half as gut as you thought, Amerikaner Mr. Green I'm a Polish pilot and supposed to test-fly the Hurricane...

Wasn't it Gordon Jackson aka Flight Lt. Sandy MacDonald ("Intelligence") who screwed up in "The Great Escape"? Cool

Cheers, Cool

Jens O.

Yes, I pulled from two "language" vignettes in that film, the first one with McDonald (I had even Google'd for the cast, but missed who it was) and the second one with Attenborough and everybody's favorite "bad German", Karl-Otto Alberty ("your hands....UP!")

As God is my witness, I actually saw re-runs on German TV, dubbed, of "Hogan's Heroes" once when staying in Duesseldorf for MEDICA...now that is just wrong! Laughing

Bob....are you sayin' it's too late for you to pick up those critical language skills?

#17: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:56 pm
    ----
I just need a refresher in Profanity and Southern. Actually I've found that the fluency in Profanity returns very quickly with the right environmental inputs (Like banging my knuckles working on the lawn tractor) . Picking up the third one would probably be a marriage limiting move at this point.

#18: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: palic PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:07 am
    ----
So we can form at least one "A Team" more when speaking about language skills... I can speak Russian, too.
Certainly there is a "Seven Languages Dictionary of (former) Warsaw Treaty"...somewhere in my locker.

#19: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:55 am
    ----
- palic
So we can form at least one "A Team" more when speaking about language skills... I can speak Russian, too.
Certainly there is a "Seven Languages Dictionary of (former) Warsaw Treaty"...somewhere in my locker.

Excellent, you just doubled your exposure on the "duty roster"!

#20: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:02 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- the_shadock
- Doug_Kibbey

Note to self: Make a list of our esteemed members with uniquely useful language skills and established willingness to help out. Wink

And you know what you are talking about !!

Pierre-Olivier

You're already on the list, Bud! (I just started making this, feel free to contribute or add yourself, looking for volunteers)

Polish: Polar
Czech: Palic
French: Pierre-Olivier
German: Jens_O_Mehner (probably speaks Okie, too, have my suspicions about this guy...)
Swedish: Rikard_Hufschmied
Chinese: famo
Russian: Taranov (pretty sure)
Portugese: Jose Valls (and my wife for backup in dire emergency)

...And I've got duplicates like Lesley and another Francophone (whose name is escaping me at the moment)

Ok, the gloves are off Smile

You can add Finnish (I'm half-Finn), Basic Profanity and the ability to order beer and ask directions to the "bog" in another approx. 15+ languages Smile

#21: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:15 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied

Ok, the gloves are off Smile

You can add Finnish (I'm half-Finn), Basic Profanity and the ability to order beer and ask directions to the "bog" in another approx. 15+ languages Smile

Another one we'll have to keep our eye on...I never trust trust a language where they double up on their vowels for no apparent reason*! Laughing

*(said more-or-less in jest...you should hear the crap I take from my wife about English...)

#22: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Jens_O_MehnerLocation: Giessen, Germany PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:31 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

Excellent, you just doubled your exposure on the "duty roster"!

I plead the Fifth on my knowledge of further languages, considering the obvious consequences... HEy, I could even say this in Dutch- aaarrgggh, shoot... Smile

Yep, I'll do basic profanity in a couple dozen languages and advanced in three or four, but I firmly deny any knowledge of whorehouse anything.

I've also been told by the locals in Southwest Asia that I barter like an Arab, but I cannot do it in Arabic, it's just one of those languages I'll never master- I'm giving some thought to learning Hindi, though, does anybody have any input on the difficulties of the spoken language?

Jens O.

#23: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:01 pm
    ----
- palic
What is the reason you tend to use dumb authomatic translator... There is a native speaker...

Translation is here:
Discover your own Panther
Although I have seen the pictures of this turret here in the article written by Bé?a, there is „complete report about this Panther finding… She was discovered in the Ukraine IVO SHPOLA (?????) town. I am not informed about the exact date of discovery but it seem to be not topical event,....there is zimmerit coating visible on the turret and the number „234“. Right hand side of hull with roadwheels, idler wheel, drive sprocket and complete track are visible in the pics. These parts only have been discovered and excavated along with turret.
I am not sure about version of this Panther but I suppose her to be Ausführung A or better G according to „V“ chevrons visible on the "working parts" of track links. Even the drive sprocket seems to be simplified variant.
I have borrowed all my books on Panther to my buddy so we could definitely assess the version in the discussion below (the article).

Hope this "decyphered version" helps...

I did help, thanks Smile

Maybe someone should email (someone with the appropriate language skills) and tell that the Panther was completely salvaged (in pieces though) and that it without a doubt is an Ausf. A.

Picture of engine bay:

Quick analysis of make and damage:

#24: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:21 am
    ----
The Ukrainian Panther Ausf. A is now back on milweb through a UK dealer.

Link to advert:
www.milweb.net/classif...php?type=1

Link to UK dealer (who has promised more pictures shortly):
www.russiantruck.co.uk/

Much better quality picture of the heavily damaged hull:

It's in much worse shape than I initially guessed, the full right hull side is completely detached. It will be interesting to see more pictures to properly asses the structural damage.

#25: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:57 pm
    ----
At least it is more or less secured in a western-Europe country and it will most probably be restored instead of rusting away in some scrapyard..

Pierre-Olivier

#26: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:59 pm
    ----
Well, I didn't see that the most recent picture was in fact taken at the same place than the older one and maybe it is still in Ukraine...

P-O

#27: Re: Panther Ausf.A salvaged in the Ukraine Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:01 am
    ----
- the_shadock
Well, I didn't see that the most recent picture was in fact taken at the same place than the older one and maybe it is still in Ukraine...

P-O

As the webvert says "Located remote and deep in former Russian state but not in E.U" ... so it's a safe bet that it's still in the Ukraine.

-> AFV News Discussion Board