Ft Story's LARC-V
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ft Story's LARC-V Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:36 pm
    ----
I went to Ft Story last weekend. Very small post with no displays to speak of except I did come upon this LARC-V that was by the two old light houses. After quickly looking around I climbed up inside and snapped some pictures of the controls and data plate. Built April 30th, 1968. Ft Eustis has a couple LARC varients but not one like this, and I thought this type was the most common. Here is a sad side note I found concerning LARC-V's;
"There were 968 units originally built. As best records can indicate, over 600 of them were sank, just as merely a means of disposal [when the U.S. departed Vietnam in the '70s]."

#2: Re: Ft Story's LARC-V Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:58 pm
    ----
Jeff, did you see the seawall built from dukw's. Locate this structure which was a 3" AA emplacement and look into the embankment from the ocean side. You will see the remains of many DUKW's.

#3: Re: Ft Story's LARC-V Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:51 pm
    ----
No, I didn't see this. Do you know approx where on Ft Stroy this is? There is a lot of coast line.

#4: Re: Ft Story's LARC-V Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:41 pm
    ----
Back in the early 60's my dad worked at Cape Canaveral and we lived at Patrick AFB, Florida. There was one of these machines there. I seem to remember I was told it had something to do with the space program. Maybe recovery.

#5: Re: Ft Story's LARC-V Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:53 pm
    ----
Jeff, here is the location of the 3inch AA emplacement. AJ2

#6: Re: Ft Story's LARC-V Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:10 pm
    ----
I forgot this picture of the Data Plate the other night.

#7: Re: Ft Story's LARC-V Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:19 pm
    ----
Armyjunk,
Yesterday I returned to Ft Story and found the structure you speak of. There has been much deterioration and it has collapsed. I climbed all over that dune to include the vegitation above and only once did I "think" I saw what might be a portion of a DUKW, but I kind of doubt it. Look at the last picture of that area and you can see in the fore ground a section of metal and a few feet behind it, what might be a metal bow sticking up.
I have also included a picture of the old LARC ramp that was used for launching and recovering the beasts. It now leads into three motorpools, of which I am parked at the entrance of.

-> AFV News Discussion Board