Photo-M-48's (?) being rebuilt at Tooele
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Photo-M-48's (?) being rebuilt at Tooele Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:01 pm
    ----
I didn't know Tooele Army Depot (Utah) ever did this kind of work. Ran across photo at a Utah history site. What model are these? Or are the M47's?

#2: Re: Photo-M-48's (?) being rebuilt at Tooele Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:23 pm
    ----
Hi Mark:

A very interesting photo. Those are either M46s or M47s (the two hatches at the front are the giveaway) - I can't tell from this angle which are which, though. I wonder whether these are M26 Pershings being rebuilt as M46s?

Cheers,

Scott

#3: Re: Photo-M-48's (?) being rebuilt at Tooele Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:43 pm
    ----
I think you're right. There appears to be space for two drivers so that counts out the M48 series.

#4: Re: Photo-M-48's (?) being rebuilt at Tooele Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:49 pm
    ----
Looks like M47's to me,
No blower fan hump between the Driver's and Co-Driver's Hatches like the M46's had. 47's were the first to have the fan in the turret.

The left tank closest looks like the turret had just been pulled and hasn't been stripped and steam cleaned. That pack looks like it came from her and she still has her tracks.

Nice picture 'Weed.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board