Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:02 am
    ----
Neil,
Found this picture on the TanxHeaven Web site a while back and recently noticed that it looks like Aberdeen's #4430 A2.

Aberdeen #4430

TanxHeaven Image

Pretty sure they are the same. It was in a group of pictures posted on the site. All look like Anniston's bone yard.

Joe D

#2: Re: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:05 pm
    ----
Hi Joe D! Hi Folks!

It possible both are the same vehicle. The only difference I noticed was the APG vehicle is missing the right front headlight assemble.

Would be nice to see that tank get cleaned up and restored.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:26 pm
    ----
The top picture is at APG, outside the museum's warehouse - you can see the M8 AGS next to it. The second picture, rather interestingly, is presumably from "behind the fence" at APG...

Neil

#4: Re: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:05 pm
    ----
Neil,
That would explain some things. The top picture was yours that you posted a while back from what I remember. Should have credited you, sorry.

Interesting note on that tank, So far I think it's # 4 of the A2's produced, which probably would explain the mounting points on the front hull and it staying at Aberdeen. But I'm not done with my investigating.

Joe D

#5: Re: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:30 pm
    ----
What would the mounting posts be for?

Neil

#6: Re: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:50 pm
    ----
Neil,
I am guessing a ladder that would fold up against the front slope when stowed. Seen a picture of an A2 with one but it was off center to the left of the driver. Again, I'm not certain which in the series this A2 is, It's just a guess right now.

Joe D

#7: Re: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:51 pm
    ----
I'll be up at Aberdeen next Monday. I might have time to check the folder on that vehicle and see if it has any details on it's past life.

I'm wondering about the vehicle sitting to the left of the A2. What little I can see has a weird shape and I can see some markings on the fender but can't make them out.

#8: Re: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:23 pm
    ----
I _think_ the vehicle to the left is an M113 with the engine hood open...

Neil

#9: Re: Picture from TanxHeaven site for Neil Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:37 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

I _think_ the vehicle to the left is an M113 with the engine hood open...
Neil

That vehicle to the A2's left side IS a M113, however it is the rear end with the door in the ramp open. The way it is setting so low, makes me think is doesn't have any road wheels and the hull is setting on the ground.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board