When I grow up I want to be an Ontos!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:30 pm
    ----

Jeff Lewis

#2: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:52 pm
    ----
You could buy 10 of these for what one TOW Missile costs!

#3: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:49 pm
    ----
Actually, that would be a neat variant - a TOW-armed Vespa! Wink

Neil

#4: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:43 pm
    ----
Trouble with 2 wheels is the darn thing keeps falling over.

106's had to be the loudest things on earth. Saw some scout platoon guys put empty ammo crates behind one to see how far the back-blast would throw em!

Inspection day, CSC 3/5, (Later renamed 193rd Inf Brigade) Panama

106's at far end, TOW's , M-60's, and FIST platoon jeeps.

#5: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:04 am
    ----
Early 80s I am guessing by the red car?

Neil

#6: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:29 am
    ----
Hey Neil, 1984. Pretty ratty looking cars, huh? And those were the good ones. The CO made the real clunkers park in the back lot! Laughing

#7: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:32 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Early 80s I am guessing by the red car?

Neil

The 'gamma-goats' are a kicker also. I came in in Jan 85 and they were gone from most units.

The 'GOAR' lingered into 86. Replaced with HEMMITs.

At least at Fort Hood in 85-86.

Don

#8: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:38 am
    ----
Having lugged a 90mm RCL as a combat engineer, I would have welcomed a Vespa transported recoilless rifle.

Don, love the Dontos avatar!

I guess early 80s from the pickle suits. I joined ROTC in 1982 and by then, except for a couple soon-to-be retirees, most of the cadre were wearing BDUs. By 1983 only uncontracted ROTC cadets still wore them. Everyone else wore BDUs.

#9: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:02 pm
    ----
Steve Rauch pics of our "Dirty Delta", 17th Cav, 101st Abn. Aero Rifle RR section doin' the thing....

...and what's left of one of these when one hits a mine:

#10: Re: When I grow up I want to be an Ontos! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:44 pm
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey
Steve Rauch pics of our "Dirty Delta", 17th Cav, 101st Abn. Aero Rifle RR section doin' the thing....

...and what's left of one of these when one hits a mine:

It's nice to see that folks back here in the states now care when a wheeled vehicle hits something like that. During our time, most of the folks back in the states didn't care.

Strange how times have changed some.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board