Ammo Container ID
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ammo Container ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:58 pm
    ----
This place where I live has fence posts made out of some old ammo containers. They are about 4 inches in diameter and maybe 6 feet long. No writing. Could Bangelore Torpedoes come in these?

#2: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:50 am
    ----
'Weed,
My Engineer Battle Buddy says it's not Bangalore, told me they came in wooden crates. Maybe 2.75" Rocket, but I'm not a wingy thingy guy.

Joe D

#3: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:14 am
    ----
Joe,

I never thought of that. The 2.75" rocket would fit in one of these. That's probably right. Thanks!

#4: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:40 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Joe,

I never thought of that. The 2.75" rocket would fit in one of these. That's probably right. Thanks!

Ya' know, I'm not so sure that's what it is. 2.75"FFAR's are mighty plentiful and made by everybody and that seems like a pretty sophisticated container for such an item. I'm no expert, but I believe the rocket motor is typically packaged separately and in bulk in cardboard tubes in wooden crates (wasn't it this way in Vietnam?). Bob Smart might have some insight here.

Here are two examples, one of units in storage in Vietnam, and one of a current supplier from Brasil. See what you think...

www.vhpamuseum.org/wea...ockets.jpg

www.imbel.gov.br/index...mp;lang=en

#5: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:18 pm
    ----
For once I can't help. When I was in 1 TFW the phrase was 'Not a pound for Air To Ground' The only ordnance we carried was AIM 9 & AIM 7 missles. They came out of the ammo dump on trailers not in containers.

#6: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:31 pm
    ----
Looks to me like two storage containers for Rocket, target, 3.25-inch M2 joined end to end...

Cool

#7: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
    ----
try this u can zoom on pics etc maic.jmu.edu/ordata/sr...?ordid=282

#8: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:50 pm
    ----
A thorough exam of the surface - including the ends - should reveal a PAxx or Mxx number for the container which will help the ID. Unfortunately, if the product shipped was not Ordnance-cognizant, it will not likely have a PA or M designator. For example, 115mm chemical rockets which belong to the ChemC.

FYI, I checked today and the 2.75-in rockets were and are shipped in fiber tubes, both as components and as an assembly.

KL

#9: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:54 pm
    ----
hey tumbleweed,
dont know what that is. looks bigger than 2.75. ah, it is a sewer pipe, came off an old ww1 vintage destroyer, hell, i dont know. sorry...
the 2.75's i got are all crated and packed in cardboard tubes, motors are roughly 42 inches or so and the warheads are just under 18".

you still married? you need to use some lead weighted shoes, a year ago
you meet a few of us at ft. knox, now you are back out in cali?

shawn

#10: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:51 am
    ----
That was his second time at Knox with a couple other stops inbetween if I remember correctly. He ain't named Tumbleweed for nothin'

#11: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:09 pm
    ----
I'm still Tumblin'

#12: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:37 pm
    ----
Jim, I went out and looked again and you are right that it is two containers joined end to end. So they measure 4 3/4 inches by 38 inches. There's an old, faded stencil that says, "PJNIM" if that means anything. Photo shows where containers are joined.

#13: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:26 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
There's an old, faded stencil that says, "PJNIM" if that means anything. Photo shows where containers are joined.

PJNIM (or perhaps P1NIM?) is the Code Symbol or Ammunition Identification Code for this ammunition item.

P means it was cataloged in SNL Group P_. The catalogs were P-1, P-2 and the like, I don't think there was ever a letter-letter designator. Catalog P-1 covered Projectiles, separate loading, 6-inch to 240mm inclusive. Others in Group P were propelling charges and antiaircraft artillery ammo, and others.

NIM would be a designator indicating a particular stocking arrangement, including both the ammunition and the packaging.

The 3.25-inch target rocket someone mentioned was cataloged in group S-9, S9B _ _ to be exact, with the motors as S9D _ _.

If there's any chance of finding clearer stencils, that would say exactly what this is for.

KL

#14: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:29 am
    ----
Anyone know where to get any of the SNL code books?

Cool

#15: Re: Ammo Container ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:38 am
    ----
Jim, This might be what you're talking about:

www3.dac.army.mil/AV/Y...INDEX.HTML

-> AFV News Discussion Board