Test of M60A1/A3 Photo Documentation [Lots of photos]
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Test of M60A1/A3 Photo Documentation [Lots of photos] Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:55 pm
    ----
I tried out the list described before on an M60A3 in Plum PA. Here's what the standard photo set will give you:

4x overall views (0-90-180-270).

Comment: I think it's pretty evident that there's a thermal shroud, so that shouldn't need a separte C/U. The 90-deg shot was concentrated on the turret because the tank is on a parapet built on a hill above a road, so it was impossible to get more than six feet away. It'll be a rare tank that will have clear access to all four sides, I think.

1x Suspension Close up (C/U) showing shock and side lug arrangement

Comment: No picture. It's not really possible to do this as the view is the same as a full view of the tank. Maybe an oblique shot along the side, but is the area of interest toward the front or rear?

1x Tow lug S/N C/U

1x Engine deck S/Ns C/U

1x Glacis R/N C/U

Comment: These are pretty simple, highly lighting dependent though.

1x Driver's hatch C/U

Comment: I had to hold the camera up because of the KEEP OFF, so two shots were needed to get a good view.

1x Turret C/U, showing T/C rangefinder head and gunner's sight

Comment: From ground level, this is the best I could do. It appear the gunner's sight housing has been removed.

1x Air cleaner C/U, slightly high and looking rearward

Comment: Ground level view, hopefully shows what's needed.

1x Turret top view, looking forward from rear deck to show wind sensor and left side of TC cupola

Comment: Ground level shot taken from aways back using zoom. This may be all that's possible for unclimbable tanks.

1x Bustle rack C/U from right side

Comment: Easy. Could possibly be skipped if evident in other shots, unless there is some notable variation here.

1x Escape hatch C/U

Comment: Surprisingly easy - hatch on Shermans is way back under tank. Flash required.

Others

These two were taken to focus on the welded up searchlight socket and T/C cupola. I think both of these could be skipped IF info is shown in other shots, and I think it is.

So, please comment, especially whether the info presented is adequate or not.

KL

#2: Re: Test of M60A1/A3 Photo Documentation [Lots of photos] Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:56 am
    ----
Kurt,
Thanks for the post, unfortunately I am unable to view the pictures right now. Based on you descriptions, yes, the group of pictures will cover most of what needs to be seen to tell what mods/variations the tank has. I will post some more guides here when I can. I have a general rule I go by when taking M60 pictures that pretty much follows what you desribe. I do take additional pictures if I notice an unusual modification/ part or repair. That way when I document it I have a better desription. For example, if the tank has a standard track adjusting link I don't take a picture of it, but will if it's the newer modified M1 hydraulic version.
About the differences in turret part numbers between pre chin and chin armor types, I have not seen a part number listed for either, just like the hull (or body assembly IAW the parts manual). Doesn't mean there isn't one, but I really doubt they differentiated between the two. There doesn't seem to be any effort to use the newer chin armor type over the earlier when they started producing M60A3's at Anniston. I think it had to do with expense and also the capability to produce. By the time the M60A3 rebuild program went into full swing most were being delegated to lower priority units with M1's quickly filling the role in Europe. All new production castings went to Detroit to make "New" M60A3's for either US or FMS. To equip every M60A3 being made at Anniston with the newer "chin" turrets would require waiting for used ones to come in when later model A1's were available or take new production castings. Either scenario would slow down overall production. The Army did not discriminate when issuing A3's between rebuild's or new, being that all were equal in it's eyes. In reality, the Anniston tanks were new in every way with the exceptions of the castings.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board