Weirton WV T95
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:42 pm
    ----
Apparently it is Veterans Memorial Park:
www.hancockcvb.com/attractions.asp

Neil

#17: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:46 am
    ----
Unfortunately, I cant find anything particularly special about the McCoy T95 to differentiate it from others. Only thing I could find is that the turret lacks the right-side grab-rail, and there is some odd fitting right below the left-side grab-rail. But I cant find those features in any pics in Hunnicutt or Haugh / Duplessis.

Neil

#18: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:27 am
    ----
Looking at the picture Don provided of the aft end it looks like it has a strange bustle rack configuration. Can't see a whole lot but it looks like either most of the bustel rack was cut away or it has something completely different.

#19: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:14 am
    ----
Bob, good catch....

Lets start over again - T95s with M48 turrets (or possible M48 turrets).

1 T95/former T118 with an M48 turret and variable height suspension (9B2027) - we can eliminate this one, McCoy example doesnt have a variable height suspension.
1 T95E2 with an M48 turret (9B1049).
1 T95E5 with an M48 turret and a 105mm gun (9B1048) - I dont think the McCoy example has a 105 - no fume extractor
The 8 T95E8s had M48 turrets at various stages but all had various kinds of diesel engines, so they can be eliminated.

That would seem to leave the T95E2... However, the pictures of it in Hunnicutt show a normal bustle rack. Similar bustle racks appear on the T95E8s, but they all had diesel engines... Assuming the SNs follow a normal straight numerical flow, SN 12 "should" be 9B1054, a T95E8, but again that doesnt seem to make sense - it should have had a diesel engine...

So the T95 mystery continues. They are almost undecipherable...

Neil

#20: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:38 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Bob, good catch....

Lets start over again - T95s with M48 turrets (or possible M48 turrets).

1 T95/former T118 with an M48 turret and variable height suspension (9B2027) - we can eliminate this one, McCoy example doesnt have a variable height suspension.
1 T95E2 with an M48 turret (9B1049).
1 T95E5 with an M48 turret and a 105mm gun (9B1048) - I dont think the McCoy example has a 105 - no fume extractor
The 8 T95E8s had M48 turrets at various stages but all had various kinds of diesel engines, so they can be eliminated.

That would seem to leave the T95E2... However, the pictures of it in Hunnicutt show a normal bustle rack. Similar bustle racks appear on the T95E8s, but they all had diesel engines... Assuming the SNs follow a normal straight numerical flow, SN 12 "should" be 9B1054, a T95E8, but again that doesnt seem to make sense - it should have had a diesel engine...

So the T95 mystery continues. They are almost undecipherable...

Neil

Why do you say the Diesel engines can be eliminated? because of the lower rear deck height? What was the base T95 engine?

#21: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:09 pm
    ----
Neil,
I just so happen to have some good pictures of the McCoy T95 including top views if you want copies. I'd have to email them to you.

Joe D

#22: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:12 pm
    ----
The base engines were Continental AOI-1195-5s with engine decks like the McCoy T95. The T95E8s had diesel engines with different engine decks.

Neil

#23: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:49 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
Neil,
I just so happen to have some good pictures of the McCoy T95 including top views if you want copies. I'd have to email them to you.

Joe D

Joe

The drop point I set up for you is still available if you want to use it and I could photobucket from there.

Just an option

#24: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:24 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Don - do you have a good side shot of McCoy ( I know that's probably a dumb question Wink )

How about these.....

Don

#25: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:38 pm
    ----
Its got the latter T127 type track and a mix of solid and perforated road wheels - according to Hunnicutt, "occasionally both types were mounted on the same vehicle." Unfortunately, Hunnicutt doesnt have a picture of a T95 with the first and last roadwheels perforated...

Only thing I could think of would be if Don could get a picture of the underbelly of the T95 in the LST Building - to see if it has a Ser No stamp like the others... Wink

Neil

#26: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:04 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Its got the latter T127 type track and a mix of solid and perforated road wheels - according to Hunnicutt, "occasionally both types were mounted on the same vehicle." Unfortunately, Hunnicutt doesnt have a picture of a T95 with the first and last roadwheels perforated...
Only thing I could think of would be if Don could get a picture of the underbelly of the T95 in the LST Building - to see if it has a Ser No stamp like the others... Wink
Neil

I'll try to zip by there tomorrow...
Don

#27: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:13 pm
    ----
Cool. BTW, on another note, did you get any pics from the Armor Conference?

Neil

#28: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:38 pm
    ----
I got sidetracked with some personal matters & missed the whole week.

I did 'work' the 'CGs Stable Call' on Monday night at the Museum.

I'll do some inquires with some friends to locate some exhibit photos.

Check your PM, got some other AFV connected information.

Regards
Don

#29: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:05 am
    ----
Neil look at Hunnicutt Abrarms Page 79. It's the turret configuration of the McCoy T95

#30: Re: Weirton WV T95 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:37 am
    ----
Yeah, I did see that picture - but the description is rather lacking: "T95 test rig;" what does that mean? Plus the front hull looks different - the pic shows some sort of appendages on the front for a test stand or something, which isnt on the McCoy example. The turret in the pic also has the right-side grab rail, which the McCoy example is missing - although that could have come off later. Unfortunately, all the pic shows is a T95 with the same kind of M48 turret rear bustle rack... The rest doesnt quite match, and isnt specifically identified to a chassis or RN anyway...

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board