My new build.
-> Hardware

#1: My new build. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:44 am
    ----
Okay, last weekend I blew up my three year old machine by shorting out one of the USB2 ports.
This weekend, I'm replacing it.
Thought I'd post the spec's in case anyone else is thinking of doing it.
This isn't meant to be a gaming machine but it will suffice for me and the only thing you'd need to look at to make it into
a better one would be the graphics card. You wouldn't need the high-spec audio card or speakers, unless you do music production stuff.

My original plan was to build a second p.c. for purely music use as follows:-

CPU (£135.07)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache Retail Boxed
www.aria.co.uk/SuperSp...ctId=23828

Cooler (£15.22)
Arctic Cooling (AC-FRZ-7P) Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775
www.ebuyer.com/custome...uid=105994

Mobo (£68.71)
Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775
www.ebuyer.com/product...7404191667

RAM (£82.24) [may double this)]
Geil Ultra DDR2 2.0GB PC6400 Dual Channel memory kit (2 x 1GB) 800MHz (4-4-4-12)
www.microdirect.co.uk/...annel.aspx

PSU
Antec Basiq Power 500W ATX 12V (£37.65)
www.ebuyer.com/product...7405065020
or
AKASA Paxpower 650W - Active PFC (£83.98)
www.ebuyer.com/product...7404580612

Case (£79.98)
Antec P180 EU Aluminium Super Miditower
www.ebuyer.com/custome..._uid=91721

Hard drive (£44.94)
320GB Maxtor D/Max +21 SATA2
www.aria.co.uk/Product...ctId=25738

Monitor (£124.99)
Belinea 2025S1 20" 700:1 (1400 x 1050) Silver & Black MultiMedia TFT
www.ebuyer.com/UK/prod...7406552419

DVD/RW (£20.54)
NEC Optiarc AD-7170S-0B 18x DVD±RW/DL/RAM Serial ATA Black – OEM
www.ebuyer.com/UK/prod...7406658744

Keyboard/Mouse (£7.99)
Extra Value Silver/Black Wired MultiMedia Keyboard and Optical Mouse
www.ebuyer.com/UK/prod...7406754611

GPU
Gigabutt GV-NX76G512P-RH NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS 512MB DDR2 PCI-E DVI
www.zomp.net/shop/prod..._id=379667 (Already purchased - example only)

Soundcard (£214.99)
Focusrite Saffire LE FireWire Audio Interface (external)
www.turnkey.co.uk/web/...ontext=WEB

Studio Monitor Speakers (£209.99)
Alesis M1 Active MK2 (pair)
www.dolphinmusic.co.uk...ct_id/2626

Operating System (£70.44)
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 OEM
www.aria.co.uk/Product...ctId=25906

That was my plan but, as my current rig has expired, I am now cannibalising rescued parts (Coolermaster Wavemaster case
and ancilliaries) from the ruins of my current rig, and using with:-

Last edited by Shades on Wed May 16, 2007 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: My new build. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:47 am
    ----
VERY COOL! But you forgot to post up your MC details so I can build my new one too! (Kidding of course!)...lol

I remember a few years back when something happened to my 1.7 Pent 4 machine. Seems the mb memory slot went bad and took out a 512 stick of memory (big at the time) in the process. Either that, or the memory stick went bad and took out the MB. Either way, I had two components that didn't work any longer.. Shocked

Let us know how it goes and it won't be long before the statement is made, "Yep, I installed a new video card 'cause my games demanded it!"

#3: Re: My new build. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:18 am
    ----
lol
Not sure what you mean by MC (Unless you mean my "M.C.Skwirrell" street handle).

Think I've pretty much come through my gaming phase. I'm only really interested in CFS1 and even that's more for the community than the game itself. I think this machine will be able to handle that. [;)]
Just can't seem to get the same pleasure from CFS3 or the IL2 series. I haven't discounted civilian sim's, but music interests come higher up the ladder at the moment.
Keeping my options open but don't see anything on the horizon that will change my mind.

[:)]

[edit: Hoping the new rig won't give me the same access problems on C-C I had with the last one. Will advise more soon. lolol]

#4: Re: My new build. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:42 pm
    ----
MC stands for Master Card....lol (Visa or American Express will work too..(snickering)..

CFS1 isn't the same as IL2 that's for sure, and both have their good and bad points. (Such as the new IL2 Server CC is working on... Wink )

I would be interested in seeing if the new rig works for your cc access issues. Please keep us posted.. Smile

#5: Re: My new build. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:24 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Bshwackr
MC stands for Master Card....lol (Visa or American Express will work too..(snickering)..
SOB!

- Shadow_Bshwackr
I would be interested in seeing if the new rig works for your cc access issues. Please keep us posted.. Smile
It should do, unless it's specifically Norton, I get in at work on a much lower spec. rig, and using hardware security.

#6: Re: My new build. Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:02 pm
    ----
I thought you weren't touching Vista till SP1 was out. Mr. Green

#7: Re: My new build. Author: 401RCAF_HitManLocation: Ontario, CANADA (next to the beer store) PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:08 pm
    ----
Here's a pic of the Rat's I mean Rodents new PC

#8: Re: My new build. Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:47 pm
    ----
Shades... I heard about this site on the radio and thought maybe you might be interested as it pertains to making music on a computer. Would be interesting to hear something you come up with and what others might add to it, if you are into such and not hogg'n all the glory for yourself....lol!

www.ejamming.com/

A few more sites that do the same..

indabamusic.com/

www.lightspeedaudiolabs.com/

www.mix2r.com/

www.ninjam.com/

splicemusic.com/

www.yourspins.com/

#9: Re: My new build. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:11 am
    ----
@ Kit, you're right. But for all its' problems, Vista has better audio drivers than XP and they're my main interest (rig was going to be solely audio based until I blew my current one up last weekend *sigh*).
I still have my copy of XP and I'm running a 32bit install of Vista (way fewer problems than 64 bit).
If it doesn't work out I'll just re-format and go with XP until it's fixed - There is a good chance this will happen as there's still a lot of software compatability issues with Vista yet, although I think I've eliminated all the ones I need to worry about.

@ Hitty, S.O.B.!!! Razz

@ Homey, Cheers m8, I'll give it a look when I'm up an running again.

Cool

-> Hardware