Anti-viral program recommendation?
-> Software

#1: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:20 pm
    ----
So, since we have the new laptop and my desktop Norton has expired, what sayeth the forum on downloadable AV programs (subscription) that aren't too intrusive that we oughta' get? I'm thinking McAfee, but will entertain other options. Be specific with regard to version, please. We're running XP on both our systems and on DSL lines via Earthlink which has some protections of it's own. I'd like something that I can install on both, but if I have to buy separately, that's OK too.

#2: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:29 pm
    ----
NOT MacAfee.
It's really gone downhill to the point of being unsafe.
I run Norton (NIS2007) which was a **** on XP but, so far, it seems much better on my new Vista machine - I barely notice it at all.
It is still a resource hog but much less so than previous versions.
It's not the best AV (see tests in link), but it's still the best i've tried (Have to say that I don't test as many as I used to nowadays).

The trouble I find with the lesser know ones is that they can 'false-report'.
ie. You're lulled into a sense of security because the thing's reporting more viruses than anything else you've tried, and you think this must mean it's better than the others. The trouble with this is it tells you it's finding all these viruses when actually, there weren't any to begin with.
I've found this with a number of family and friends systems where I've been asked to help out (AVG is a particular favourite for this, but loads of people still swear by it - just doesn't occur to them that it might not be accurate). Few basic checks and voila! There was no problem other than in their AV's own 'mind'.

MORE HERE

#3: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:15 pm
    ----
Left MacAfee for Grisift AVG . . . very pleased so far. Except for a bit of a delay on start up to update you hardly notice it (updates many times faster than MacAfee)..

Warbucks uses the freeware version they offer and has never had a problem. I also use the freeware version on my notebook (use it mostly for posting and reading emails)...

never a problem

#4: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:20 pm
    ----
NOD32

Alltough not freeware with distance one of the very best ones out there, and no fuzz as with Norton or McCaffee

#5: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:34 pm
    ----
I also use AVG from Grisoft. I do like the FREE part. (Surprise!)..lol

It works well, the updates are free and you can do a DOS Pre Windows Startup for those sneaky "Resident" programs.

#6: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: 401RCAF_JelLocation: Hiding in Sherwood Forest PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:17 pm
    ----
AVG here and have been for quite a few years now. Never had a problem (damn that's put the kybosh on it lol).

Free = More to spend on these new fangled flying machines Wink

#7: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:29 pm
    ----
OK, I did the AVG thing (the price was right and the specs pretty good!) and the installs went well and I found two trojan horse installers on my deskstop so it was worthwhile.

One issue: It sure slows things down, especially online gaming. I mean to the point of being unplayable. I can't find a way to temporarily disable this sucker anywhere or find the issue addressed in the "help" pages. How do I "turn it off" when I want to go gaming? I find nothing about disabling this sucker!

#8: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: RM_bizkidLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:33 pm
    ----
Using NOD 32 with no problems. Interesting that is does not rate high on the detection on the PC mag link? One thing for me was the low system overhead requirements, which are ideal for gaming.

#9: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:02 pm
    ----
I usually just right click the AVG icon in the lower right tray and exit when I know where I'm gaming is safe. Hopes that helps!

#10: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:53 pm
    ----
- Shadow_Homfixr
I usually just right click the AVG icon in the lower right tray and exit when I know where I'm gaming is safe. Hopes that helps!

The only option I have there is "quit AVG control center". That doesn't seem to disable it. Is that what you mean?

#11: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:21 am
    ----
As much as I dislike AVG, it shouldn't be big enough to slow your gaming down.
I was using NIS2007 on my old P4 3.0Ghz and never de-activated it and Norton, although thorough, is the Mummy, Daddy, Little Johnny, Auntie Nellie, and her boyfriend Terence, of resource hogs.

What are your system spec's, and which games is it affecting?

#12: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:38 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- Shadow_Homfixr

The only option I have there is "quit AVG control center". That doesn't seem to disable it. Is that what you mean?

Yep, that's how you disable it... Wink To start it again, go to your Start/Programs menu.

#13: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:47 pm
    ----
I'll try it this afternoon. After I uploaded it, Battlefield Vietnam was unplayable...even in singleplay. It took FOREVER for the scenarios to upload...like 5-6 times longer than it did before I installed AVG. Sad

#14: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:08 pm
    ----
OK, deactivating AVG did nothing for me, my system was still crawling. I did a "system retore" to two days before I installed it and I'm back to "normal". However, I'm without an AV program on my desktop, so it's back to square one. What to try now? Rolling Eyes

#15: Re: Anti-viral program recommendation? Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:10 pm
    ----
Another Free and good one is Avast. Smile

To get it, Click HERE!

-> Software