Retirement for the F117 Stealth has started.
-> Officer's Club

#1: Retirement for the F117 Stealth has started. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:43 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Six F117s were retired last Monday.
Another 10 are scheduled to retire by October.
The last 40 will be retired by October 2008.

The following is a link to the news story. There will be a pop up for printing if you want a copy,other wise cancel it.
www.kfoxtv.com/print/1...etail.html

Spot Report,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: Retirement for the F117 Stealth has started. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:46 am
    ----
Blimey!
Now I know I'm old; Cops are starting to look young and now they're retiring the stealth fighter!

Didn't they only come out yesterday?

Wonder how long it'll be before Dave Gilmour manages to get one for his collection.

#3: Re: Retirement for the F117 Stealth has started. Author: XcalibeR PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:41 pm
    ----
Wow, that one was unexpected. Wasn't it's first operational experience in Desert Storm? That wasn't too long ago, only 16-17 years ago. Actually, it's one of the youngest planes in the fleet, considering the B-52 started operations in 1955, the F-15 in 1976, the A-10 in 1977, the F-16 in 1981, the F-14 in 1972 (and was just retired), and the KC-135 in 1957. Kind of sad to see such a successful aircraft being retired. Did anyone have any clue why?

#4: Re: Retirement for the F117 Stealth has started. Author: RAF92_BattleHawkLocation: British Columbia, Canada PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:41 pm
    ----
They think the F-22 can do it better apparently

#5: Re: Retirement for the F117 Stealth has started. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 pm
    ----
Hi XcaliberR! Hi Folks!

- XcalibeR

Wow, that one was unexpected.
Did anyone have any clue why?

I live about an hour's drive south of Hollman AFB and the pending retirement has been in the local news for some time now.

The main reason the F-117s are being retired is COST. The same reason the F-14 was retired.

One good thing is they will not be going to Tucson just yet, but back to their first home for storage.

Sad to see, but the U.S. Air Force is getting hit in exchange for a larger Army and Marine Corps.
Spot Report, and some of my 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> Officer's Club