Before and After M4 Sherman Photos?...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Before and After M4 Sherman Photos?... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:09 am
    ----
I believe I have found the same M4 Shermans that are on display here on the post now, that were past gate guards in years past. What do you think?
I have a Camp Hood gate guard from pre-1951, because it became a "Fort" in 1951. I believe this same tank is the one on display at the 4th ID museum currently, M4A1E9 (75).
The skirted M4A3 (76) HVSS from 1955 gate guard duty is now located at the corner of 76th St and Battalion Ave, on the 1st Cav side of post.

#2: Re: Before and After M4 Sherman Photos?... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:51 am
    ----
Here are pictures I took today of the "Skirted" M4, which Ido believe is the same tank from 1955. Serial number of this tank is 6948, which is stamped into both rear tow lugs. This was the last Sherman on Fort Hood that I did not have a serial for yet. I now have the serials for 10 Shermans here. The two that are at the 4ID museum have me stumped, but I may be close to a break through on one of those, (the M4A1E9). I also have some serial on some of the variants, which is my next project. Once I find out the complete history on this "skirted" Sherman, I relay it here.

#3: Re: Before and After M4 Sherman Photos?... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:45 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Here are pictures I took today of the "Skirted" M4, which Ido believe is the same tank from 1955. Serial number of this tank is 6948, which is stamped into both rear tow lugs. This was the last Sherman on Fort Hood that I did not have a serial for yet. I now have the serials for 10 Shermans here. The two that are at the 4ID museum have me stumped, but I may be close to a break through on one of those, (the M4A1E9). I also have some serial on some of the variants, which is my next project. Once I find out the complete history on this "skirted" Sherman, I relay it here.

Hi Jeff:

Can you get a re-check on that serial? 6948 is way too low for a large hatch M4A3 - it will be five digits. I checked 6948x and that's an M4A2. I also looked at 46948 (not issued?), 56948 (M4(105)), 66948 (cancelled M4A3 order), and 76948 (cancelled M4A1 order).

Can you also look for a number on the left side near the front corner or on the right side stamped into the edge of the glacis plate near the lift lug? These will help establish the factory (Detroit or Grand Blanc). Do the bogie and idler brackets have bolt heads in all the locations or are the holes filled with weld metal? This will determine if the tank was built with HVSS or VVSS.

After you get settled and such we can work out a systematic plan for all those Shermans down there, if you are interested.

Thanks,
KL

#4: Re: Before and After M4 Sherman Photos?... Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:49 pm
    ----
Forgot one thing: Can you read the registration numbers off originals of the old photos?

KL

#5: Re: Before and After M4 Sherman Photos?... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:55 am
    ----
Kurt, the serial number per Joe Demarco should be 61948. I just couldn't see the numeral "1" from my angle. Kurt, PM me or e-mail my military e-mail and I will send you quite a few pictures of the "skirted" M4.

-> AFV News Discussion Board